ph keeps falling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meinporsche

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
is a marine buffer and water changed the only way to keep my ph up? it keeps dropping and my fish keep dying...it really sucks...thanks

My light schedule is 12/12...i think i have a lot of movement...i have a powerhead that ripples the surface, my protein skimmer return and my filter return...when i look in the tank i have a pretty movement of water...i started having trouble after we had a tornado and i lost asll my fish except for a damsel. i let the tank sit for about 6 months just keeping up the regular maintenance. When i started adding livestock again they all have been dying within 2 or 3 weeks of getting them...but, the damsel lives on...any suggestions?

Help with tank recycle...all my fish are dying...

Ok, here is the deal... I have a 125g FOWLR...When I set it up I let it run for about 6 months. I had a good cycle and my water parameters were always fine. I had a nice livestock with 2 damsels, a clownfish, foxface rabbit, blue tang, lion fish, humu humu trigger, and some snails and crabs. We had a tornado come through the area in May and I lost all of the fish except for the damsels. So I let the tank sit again for about 6 months and kept doing the regular maintenance. I started adding fish again and they all die except for the damsels. My LFS says my ph is low, which it is, but I cant seem to get it to stay up...My maintenance is as follows...10% water change every week, cleaning my canister filter every 2 weeks, and adding a marine buffer every week. I keep my lights on a 12/12 timer. Any suggestions or should I do like a 50% water change and just basically start over? It's getting expensive and depressing...The weird thing is, is that the fish act fine and when I check the next day they are dead. It's very strange. Any help is appreciated...Thanks

meinporsche said:
I get it 8.2 to 8.3 and it falls to 7.8...

Hmmm... 7.8 pH shouldn't kill a fish. What is your temperature set at? And what salt mix are you using?

I noticed my pH goes up when I raise the temperature in my tank (not sure why). I also use Instant Ocean and it stays around 8.0pH.

I use instant ocean and keep it at 1.023...my temp is 80 I did have it at 78 but the same the thing was happening with the fish

That pH swing will not kill fish. For starters I would raise the salinity to a more natural level of 1.026. How are you measuring salinity? What is your ammonia and nitrate reading?

I am using an instant ocean hydrometer...they checked at my lfs as well....my ammonia is 0 and the nitrates are at 10...the lfs is blaming the Ph but I'm not really buying that

a 50% water change would not be starting over. how are you adding fish? how many at a time and how do you acclimate them? how long after you add them do they die?

I doubt its the PH causing the deaths,I think I would retest your water with a liquid test kit,also how do you acclimate and how long,those hydrometers are very inaccurate,get yourself a refractometer

I acclimate for around an hour. i open the bag and place it in the tank and add a small amount of my water to the bag every 10 minutes...i only add one fish at a time...i guess i need to look at a refractometer...they have been lasting about 3 weeks after i add them...

Back
Top Bottom