pH level help need asap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dunnman39

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My pH level is coming up as 7.0. What am I suppose to do? All my other levels are okay...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Be happy?? Where else would you want it at?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Isn't the pH level for SW aquariums suppose to be at 8.0-8.2?

Oops, my bad, missed the sw part. Yah, I think it is supposed to be higher. Ill let the salty dogs take it from here. Could be an air exchange thing??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

how big is your tank there are several easy ways to raise it , is your tank covered or not
also consider this ph is lower in AM and higher around 6pm in eve from lights being on
circulation is another factor

the safest way to raise ph it can be done using seltzer water be sure it's the pure type not the ones with sugars and other stuff , I used 9 1/2 gal bottles in my 90 when I first set up 2 years ago , I use small amounts of baking soda as a buffer to keep stable,
another way you can raise ph is baking soda just add it slowly as it wont give a correct reading until it circulates at least 8 hrs.

Last edited:
I have a 55 gallon tank. And only half of it is covered. I am waiting on the other glass top to come in. It is stocked with 2 fish. Will they be okay?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have circulation and water movement? Like powerheads? You can point them upwards so you water movement on the top of the water. This will help with ph. You can also uncover the tank, you get better gas exchange and it will help the ph go up a bit. Have you done a water change recently? That can also raise the ph as the salt mix should boost it to where it should be. The goal is like 8.3 but anything over 7.5 7.6 would be fine too. The main thing is that you get it to be stable, even if it's lower than the perfect reading.

Hope that helps

I do have a powerhead. I will do a partial water change tomorrow. After I check it again.

Are you sure the test is accurate? Has it always been low or is this a recent drop?

Don't worry about ph. It is a number that fluctuates heavily through the day. Dosing to get the magic number only leads to problems. Along with that, the numbers are always lower in the winter months as we shut our homes up and the heaters are on. Less fresh air is more co2, which means lower ph.
So, to naturally raise ph levels you can point a power head at the water surface to get more fresh oxygen into the water column. You can even put a slimmer air hose out a window during winter to get fresh air in to help stabilize ph levels.

Back
Top Bottom