PH Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I cant sem to keep my PH consistant. I have been checking it every other day and mostly it stays at 8.2 but today is the second time in the last 3 weeks it just drops rapidly for no good reason. I checked it tonight and it was bottoming out at 7.2. my alk. is still testing good and the only thing i have changed is I started using a calcium additive. This is getting frustrating. I tested it with two different kits to be sure, what gives? I really dont want to have to check it daily but at this rate I may need to check it twice a day,lol

Are you using test kits or a monitor? IMO, a monitor is almost a must for something like this that need constant checking. Test kits just lack the accuracy for something so important.
Also, do you have a glass cover on your tank? Do you have much SURFACE water movement?

No cover on the top, just a canopy with 2 4" fans running 24-7. I dont have much surface water movement but I will this week when my controler come's in for my new ph's
I'm using a test kit but I'm geting ready to buy a controler for the ph so when I add a calcium reacter I will not have to buy anything else. Again, every time I think I have a handle on things something throws me for a loop.
I'm going to buy another alk test kit tomorrow as I'm doubting the one I have now. I'm thinking my alk is way low personally and probably has a lot to do with gas build up in the water as well, does this make sense??

I'm also thinking of moving my sump to one of my side cabinets so I can run an open top for better gas exchange their, would this be worth it?

Back
Top Bottom