Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2005, 12:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

PH Problem

I cant sem to keep my PH consistant. I have been checking it every other day and mostly it stays at 8.2 but today is the second time in the last 3 weeks it just drops rapidly for no good reason. I checked it tonight and it was bottoming out at 7.2. my alk. is still testing good and the only thing i have changed is I started using a calcium additive. This is getting frustrating. I tested it with two different kits to be sure, what gives? I really dont want to have to check it daily but at this rate I may need to check it twice a day,lol

Old 03-20-2005, 12:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Are you using test kits or a monitor? IMO, a monitor is almost a must for something like this that need constant checking. Test kits just lack the accuracy for something so important.
Also, do you have a glass cover on your tank? Do you have much SURFACE water movement?

Old 03-20-2005, 01:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No cover on the top, just a canopy with 2 4" fans running 24-7. I dont have much surface water movement but I will this week when my controler come's in for my new ph's
I'm using a test kit but I'm geting ready to buy a controler for the ph so when I add a calcium reacter I will not have to buy anything else. Again, every time I think I have a handle on things something throws me for a loop.
I'm going to buy another alk test kit tomorrow as I'm doubting the one I have now. I'm thinking my alk is way low personally and probably has a lot to do with gas build up in the water as well, does this make sense??
Old 03-20-2005, 01:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm also thinking of moving my sump to one of my side cabinets so I can run an open top for better gas exchange their, would this be worth it?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com