Phosphate issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 56 gallon tank and phosphate issues. I use RO/DI water and have cut back feeding my fish to once a day. I only have two fish in my tank and when I feed, I am feeding very sparingly. I'm changing my water once a week at 15-20% and still can't get my levels to 0. What am I doing wrong?

Keep up with water changes.. What are you using for filtration and do you use a protein skimmer?

I'm having phosphate issues too.. LFS said to run GFO in the filter, and keep up with water changes. Could also get a phosphate reactor because it works better with GFO as it tumbles it instead of running water around it. You need to also figure out what's causing phosphates. Mine was using tap water originally, and water changes will hopefully eventually help knock it out with the GFO...

I do have a protein skimmer but haven't really collected anything. I have something to help remove the phosphates however I have no idea the source from which it's coming from and need to do so before I get any unwanted algae growth. Thank you for your reply! I will try what I have to bring it down until I can get things figured out!

You will never get them to 0. It's not possible. Gfo in a reactor will certainly help, so will algae turf scrubbers, macro algae, and reduced feedings.

I wish I could say that I had added or changed anything but I haven't. I've already reduced the feedings.

crister13 said:
Feed every other day.

+1 I feed my tank every third day and have no issues with everything staying close to 0. Unless you have fish that require frequent feedings then they are much better off not eating every day mainly cause of water quality and secondly they really don't need it

Nikki.

Your on the right track in wanting to find the source. Consider this, phosphates come from food and waste. You are not over feeding by any means and you are not overstocked. So this means you have waste sitting/trapped somewhere in your system. Heres a few places it could be hiding:

Sand bed (not just on the surface)
Filter floss or media
Live Rock
Dirty equipment (food clogged powerheads, detritus riddled sump, skimmer, refugium etc.

I've cleaned everything so I know it's not the equipment. How can I remove it from my sand bed? I siphon it now. Can you go into detail on how it can be coming from my live rock as well? I really think you are spot on and its probably one of those two or BOTH! Thank you!!!!

nikki_kaiser said:
I've cleaned everything so I know it's not the equipment. How can I remove it from my sand bed? I siphon it now. Can you go into detail on how it can be coming from my live rock as well? I really think you are spot on and its probably one of those two or BOTH! Thank you!!!!

Well first off what is your phosphate testing? And you will also wanna test your RO water just to be positive its not the source.

It could be coming from your live rock if its newer live rock or full of detritus/uneaten food. Not really likely to be the source in most cases.

Also what filtration are you running and if you use media or filter pads, how often are they cleaned and/or replaced?

Edit: I see it says on your profile Bio filter. What is this? A wet/dry trickle filter?

Back
Top Bottom