Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkota

I have read that can be a side effect.
Yes...and not all that easy to get rid of! He ended up spending two days cleaning every piece of live rock he had, replaced the sand bed (it needed it badly), switched foods, and bought a canister filter just for running phosphate removal material etc. I will tell you that while people are against canister filters, you can use them as he did and benefit! I bought one after he did because he now has no issues with phosphates and he feeds quite a bit. One other thing, while I realize the benefits of a deep sand bed, I think it is still important to clean it a small section at a time so you don't have any nasty build up. He changed water and cleaned his tank on a regular basis. He has a good clean up crew as well but some of the time stuff gets wedged under rock and will decay. Idk...in between massive clean ups, I think the canister running phosphate remover helps a lot!

Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

I didn't get the cyano, but I did get the diatoms. The cycling of a new tank can get both.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

I run two 550 Phosban reactors on my 450g. One with phos, the other with carbon.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just curious, It's my understanding the "Vodka Dosing" is basically a way to reduce phosphates on a reef tank without harming the corals, is there a slightly more aggressive way to do it if there are no corals. This tank is FOWLR.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gfo, algae scrubber. Vodka helps nitrates too.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Just curious, It's my understanding the "Vodka Dosing" is basically a way to reduce phosphates on a reef tank without harming the corals, is there a slightly more aggressive way to do it if there are no corals. This tank is FOWLR.
I would use GFO. You can throw it in a fine mesh bag and into your sump or filter. You can get the mesh bags pretty cheap at petco.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser

I would use GFO. You can throw it in a fine mesh bag and into your sump or filter. You can get the mesh bags pretty cheap at petco.
As mentioned before, I am already running GFO in a reactor and have been for about a month now.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

As mentioned before, I am already running GFO in a reactor and have been for about a month now.
How well is your protein skimmer working? What I'm asking really is how much yuck is it pulling out? If you aren't getting anything then that may be it.

There are things that I did not mention doing and left out because there are people who will say that it either is not a good idea or would make no difference...but I ran my tank with no GFO after I did it and still had no phosphates.

#1...I had a very deep sand bed. While doing research, I had read on another forum where someone else was having issues like mine. They removed their deep sand bed and went BB and eliminated them. Soooo...I got rid of my old sand bed. I divided it up and siphoned it out over the course of a month. I left it that way. I still have BB in that tank but will add a shallow sand bed soon...something I can easily and thoroughly clean as the live rock is my main source of bacteria.
#2...I did a process called "cooking live rock" that I found on the Internet. I just actually finished with my last 4 rocks...did it in stages...be sure that you eliminate ALL possibilities before you do it because its a pain. Lots of water changes...

With a tank your size, I'm guessing eliminating your sand and replacing with new dry sand would be a pain.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Activist

Skimmer is working ok at best, I have tried 4 different skimmers (octopus, 2 different AquaC, and a eshoppes) and they all work about the same it will pull about 1/4" of light green skim mate about every 3 days and every now and then it will start pulling a few cups out in a days time. Currently I am running an AquaC EV 120 it seems to work the best of the 4 I've tried.

I think I might. Have better results if I could get the skimmers to work better. The phot is about 2-1/2 to 3 days worth of skimming.

The DSB is approx about 1" to 1-1/2" deep, I have considered removing it but my Wrass buries himself at night so I'm not sure I want to remove that security from him.

I have read your posts that you mentioned and I am considering cooking the rock, I just have soo much rock appox 300lbs.

I think the rock may be the source and it is just leaching large amounts as I am taking it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-370054763.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	122694  
Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

This works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-866309736.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	122724  

Tags
phosphates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com