Phosphates are off the chart!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Minkota said:
Skimmer is working ok at best, I have tried 4 different skimmers (octopus, 2 different AquaC, and a eshoppes) and they all work about the same it will pull about 1/4" of light green skim mate about every 3 days and every now and then it will start pulling a few cups out in a days time. Currently I am running an AquaC EV 120 it seems to work the best of the 4 I've tried.

I think I might. Have better results if I could get the skimmers to work better. The phot is about 2-1/2 to 3 days worth of skimming.

The DSB is approx about 1" to 1-1/2" deep, I have considered removing it but my Wrass buries himself at night so I'm not sure I want to remove that security from him.

I have read your posts that you mentioned and I am considering cooking the rock, I just have soo much rock appox 300lbs.

I think the rock may be the source and it is just leaching large amounts as I am taking it out.

Try this: take a few pieces of live rock and put them in a tub with fresh saltwater, a heater (if needed) and a power head for a day. Test the water before you put it in just to make sure you are at 0. Test the same or similar time the next day and see what your readings are. I would actually do it over a few days just make sure you have good circulation. The point is, if it is coming from the rock then as long as you keep up on water changes, run your skimmers, and GFO, it will eventually dissipate (at least that's what I'd read a while back). The only reason I did it was because I was starting to notice little places that had fine brown algae. Since your sand bed isn't super deep, you could actually siphon small bits of it and deep clean it each time you do a water change. That may help as well. Phosphate issues are frustrating especially when you are doing everything right.

Ok I am finally seeing a drop in phosphates. I have been using the Reef Results Phosphate Nuker for about 2-1/2 to 3 weeks and went from +20ppm to 1.5 last night and I think In another dose or 2 I will be at zero! Finally theres light at the end of the tunnel and I didn't have to remove the rock or sand thank god. Thanks for everyone's input and advice.

How long does it usually take after the phosphate are gone for the Cyno and algae to disappear?

Minkota said:
How long does it usually take after the phosphate are gone for the Cyno and algae to disappear?

Matter of days. Usually disappears ad fast as it appears.

Minkota said:

Once you get rid of the source it thrives on it will die out. I will tell you that I've been talking to a few on this forum and my local forum and I am seriously considering purchasing an Echotech Vortech MP40. While you would think its just for water circulation, it really keeps anything from settling on your rocks and sand which would contribute to excess phosphates. Yes, it's expensive but I think in my situation it will serve a couple of purposes. I'm really happy your phosphates are coming down! That's awesome!

nikki_kaiser said:
Once you get rid of the source it thrives on it will die out. I will tell you that I've been talking to a few on this forum and my local forum and I am seriously considering purchasing an Echotech Vortech MP40. While you would think its just for water circulation, it really keeps anything from settling on your rocks and sand which would contribute to excess phosphates. Yes, it's expensive but I think in my situation it will serve a couple of purposes. I'm really happy your phosphates are coming down! That's awesome!

Nice pump, but I already have a circulation pump that pumps 2750gph and since I don't have any corals I don't see the need for an adjustable one for this tank. Maybe I would get it for my reef tank though.

Minkota said:
Nice pump, but I already have a circulation pump that pumps 2750gph and since I don't have any corals I don't see the need for an adjustable one for this tank. Maybe I would get it for my reef tank though.

Very nice! It's not a cure all. People can say what they want but I'm telling you once I got rid of my sand I had no issues with phosphates. I did cook the live rock but I truly believe my sand bed was the main issue.

Minkota said:

Oh ya, and get this, when I took all the live rock out and put into trash cans to clean it, there was this nasty stuff under it that no CUC could get to! Have no idea how it could wedge under but it did! I ended up buying some rings at Home Depot to set the base on so stuff won't get caught under there. I don't have the amount that you have but it was a pain cleaning it all and reassembling. I think it was worth it though.

Minkota said:
Phosphates are down to .25!!!! Won't be long now....

Whoohoo!! Make sure you keep running GFO for a while incase it's coming from the rock. It will pull it all out and then you are home free! So happy for you!

nikki_kaiser said:
Whoohoo!! Make sure you keep running GFO for a while incase it's coming from the rock. It will pull it all out and then you are home free! So happy for you!

Yea, I just put new GFO in last night. I am thinking tonight will be my last dose of the Nuker and then the reactor can finish the rest

Back
Top Bottom