Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2005, 11:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to born2chill
Phosphates ruining my coral plans...

I am ready to start adding corals to my tank. My tank has been fallow for almost 3 weeks and will remain so for about another 3 weeks because of an ich outbreak. (I've learned my lesson the hard way and now have a 30 gal QT). So I just purchased some Seachem Reef advantage and Seachem reef buffer to maintain Ca, pH, and Alk in my tank. I also got Seachem's Phosphate test and much to my dismay my phosphate readings are 3.0!!! Surprisingly I do not have any algae problems of any sort and I use a new ro/di unit for water changes and topoffs. Nitrites are at 0, nitrates at 10, amm is undetectable, and pH is a little low at 8.0.

I am attributing this PO4 spike to overfeeding since I still have hermits and 2 peps in the tank and I guess I am feeding them a little too much. That will now stop. I purchased some poly filters and am planning to remove some of the GAC in my fluval 404 and throw them in there to lower my phosphates. I will be doing a 10 gal water change soon to help alleviate my PO4 problems. I am wondering if this is a good gameplan and if there is anything else I should be doing to rid myself of PO4?

60 lbs aragonite sand
2 maxijet 1200 powerheads
Eheim 2026 Professional II Canister Filter
Aquac Remora Pro skimmer
300 watt heater
yellow tang, Large Blue Hippo Tang, Tomato clown, yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, 10 scarlet hermit crabs, 7 Mex. turbo snails,
2 peppermint shrimp, 10 nas. snails
large candy cane, supercolored zoos.

30 gal QT
2 penguin 200B HOT filters
150 watt heater
maxijet 600 ph
Bicolor Angel, Clown Tang
born2chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
steve-s

The polyfilters will actually do a good job but you'll need to swap them out for new a few times at first as the level of PO4 reduces. They will only sorb so much before they are exhausted. Increasing the fequency and size of your water changes using well aged/aerated SW made with RO/DI will also help.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-22-2005, 02:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

have you checked your top off water for po4? Can you have the LFS check the water for PO4 to make sure the test kit is correct before you spends lots of money to correct the problem.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I will test my ro/di water for phosphates tonight to test the accuracy of my phosphate test. I just got it in the mail yesterday from bigals and I know seachem tests are usually good, but I should ensure its accuracy before I go nuts with frequent large water changes. Taking it to the lfs is also a good idea since I was planning in checking out their coral selection anyway. Thank you for all of your help.
60 lbs aragonite sand
Aquac Remora Pro skimmer
300 watt heater
yellow tang, Large Blue Hippo Tang, Tomato clown, yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, 10 scarlet hermit crabs, 7 Mex. turbo snails,

30 gal QT
150 watt heater
maxijet 600 ph
Old 03-22-2005, 10:13 PM   #5
steve-s

The best method for testing RO/DI is with a TDS meter. A PO4 test will only indicate inorganic forms of PO4 not organic forms. Be asured though if you get any color change from your test, you do have organic phosphates.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-23-2005, 03:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a TDS meter and always get a 0 reading with my ro/di water. I found out that the problem is with my test kit. The reference solution in the kit comes up with a PO4 reading off the charts that is fairly darker than mine and in the instructions it says that the reference solution should test at 1.0. So I guess I need to return this kit since it is not calibrated correctly. I am going to have my water tested at the lfs and see what levels they get.

If the water tests well for phospates I was thinking about picking up a couple of beginner corals. My only concern is that I have a decent amount of microbubbles in my tank from the remora pro and am wondering if microbubbles are detrimental to corals? TIA.
60 lbs aragonite sand
Aquac Remora Pro skimmer
300 watt heater

30 gal QT
150 watt heater
maxijet 600 ph
Old 03-23-2005, 08:23 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2chill
If the water tests well for phospates I was thinking about picking up a couple of beginner corals. My only concern is that I have a decent amount of microbubbles in my tank from the remora pro and am wondering if microbubbles are detrimental to corals? TIA.
Depends on the corals you end up getting. Most will only be slightly bothered by it and may close up some but it will not damage them. I would suggest starting off with a few softies, shrooms or small LPS until you get "feet wet"

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-23-2005, 08:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm having GREAT luck with zooanthid polyps, Kenya tree, Xenia and mushrooms, and my tank has been "in action" for less than 4 weeks.

No fish, just inverts. I have two fish in QT (30 days, steve!!) waiting for their turn. In the meantime, I will add a few more corals and glue them down (I have star polyps sitting on the bottom as we speak) - this way I can do all of that without spooking the fish.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm looking to add a large super-colored zoo and a toadstool mushroom. I would also like to get a candy cane coral. Would I be pushing my luck adding 3 corals at once, or should I be fine? There are no fish in the tank at this time.

I went to the lfs and my water perameters are good. I wasn't too impressed by their selection, prices, and guarantee. 24 hour guarantee is terrible so I am thinking about ordering tonight from liveaquaria since the cost is about the same and the selection is much better, not to mention their 14 day guarantee. What is the consensus about ordering corals online and is liveaquaria a dependable site? TIA.
60 lbs aragonite sand
Aquac Remora Pro skimmer
300 watt heater

30 gal QT
150 watt heater
maxijet 600 ph
Old 03-23-2005, 10:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
went to the lfs and my water perameters are good. I wasn't too impressed by their selection, prices, and guarantee. 24 hour guarantee is terrible so I am thinking about ordering tonight from liveaquaria since the cost is about the same and the selection is much better, not to mention their 14 day guarantee. What is the consensus about ordering corals online and is liveaquaria a dependable site? TIA.

I just ordered from them an hour agao, so Iguess I'm in. Where are you in NY? If you were nearby, we could have split the shipping costs

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, phosphates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com