Picasso triggerfish 75gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ranvan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon that is currently FW. However, I have had a 120g SW for over three years and finally feel comfortable with adding a second one. My first SW is FOWLR but I will be adding corals to it.

As I look at my 75g, I am seeing the idea of a Picasso Triggerfish and maybe two more fish.

Questions....

Do I need a protein skimmer or can I use the AC110s (2) on it now? I will get oneif necessary.
Would live rock be necessary? I like the looks of it and will probably get it, but would I need alot? Instead of 75#, could I get by with half of that?
What fish could I put with the PT? I have a silver scat in my 120g who I am afraid will eat some corals, so he may be moved. Would he work?

Oh, is the PT the most pet like SW fish out there? I have a 120g with a couple of Oscars (plus Jack Dempseys, Jewelfish, Firemouth) and am looking for the equivalent in SW.

Advice? Ideas?

The PT and puffers are like "aqua dogs".Protein skimmer is a need and yes.Live rock is optional, beauty.If you get live rock it will save money from what I've heard.About tank mates not sure,someone else may have to fill in, but I think that it might have to be the only one.

Might consider moving the FW into the 75 and the 120 for your stock selections so far. If the 120 is a 48" then there is really no difference between the 75 and the 120 , both being to small for the trigger. LR is optional if you have other filtration though the trigger will expect inverts to be in the rock to hunt. Very aggressive so make sure he has aggressive mates.

BTW: Isn't that scat brackish? He might make it but probably not happily

Might consider moving the FW into the 75 and the 120 for your stock selections so far.

I don't think my eleven inch oscars would make it in a 75.

If the 120 is a 48" then there is really no difference between the 75 and the 120 , both being to small for the trigger. LR is optional if you have other filtration though the trigger will expect inverts to be in the rock to hunt. Very aggressive so make sure he has aggressive mates.

The 120g is two feet deep versus 18" for the 75. The 120 is two feet high versus 18 or 20" It is significantly bigger.

As for the trigger being too small for the 75g, I have read mixed on this. Being that they are a slow grower reaching ten inches, then it should work.

If not, then perhaps another fish as a pet fish? Perhaps a puffer would work better?

And maybe just one fish?

BTW: Isn't that scat brackish? He might make it but probably not happily

He is about six or seven inches and lives in a SW 120g tank. I got him at about one inch (eight months ago). He was acclimated then already to SW. he does very well. His job was to get rid of aipstasia and he did his job well. No more exist in a tank that was crowded with them.

HE or she is like a pet fish, too.

Gallons don't matter that much (other than water volume), what really matters is length. That's why you'll see 125/100/75/55/etc for recommendations. IMO they should be 6', 5', 4' and 3'. Fish swim horizontally not vertically. Would your 11" oscar be happy on a 2 foot side by 7 foot tall tank?.

Some puffers are prob better for smaller tanks than others. Research is the key.

My mistake, I read your post to be a clown trigger.. The picasso is one that seems to be rated for a 4' tank though at full growth I can't imagine any of them being happy.

Good news on the scat. He's already at 1.025 or so. That's good news.

Back
Top Bottom