Placing these rocks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bishop2612

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay I'm ready to get my tank going full speed. But I have to get my rock looking a bit better in this set up. Placing each one right so the wife can stop complaining 20171007_134659.jpg

B. Aquascaping is the artistic side of the hobby and is the most fun for me. At first glance your tank could use three pieces of Texas Holey rock, aka Honeycombed Limestone of various sizes. Your rock formations need holes, pockets, crevaces and caves to allow hiding places for the fish and added beauty to the tank.
Picture your tank divided into thirds, scape each third individually. Largest rock formation on one end. The second largest rock formation on the opposite end. The smallest formation in the middle, just off center. Or just divide it up and try to find that perfect imperfection that best replicates nature. I'll post pics of my display tank and one of my spare tanks to show the hardscaping. Both are FW tanks. Note: you can buy holey rock cheap at most landscaping companies or rock yards. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20171007_093324.jpg
    20171007_093324.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 20170822_091013.jpg
    20170822_091013.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 192
I understand frustration when it comes to scapping , looking at what you have rock wise you don't have much , I would suggest getting some base rock to help you form a scape that you and your wife can live with .

it took me many attempts to find a lay out I liked , I like the open look in the center giving room for some creativity with bridges and caves , and giving the fish a nice open spot to swim .

img_2793749_2_88d147c774e8df36e446a57be4343843.jpg

img_3237487_3_ede415b955967a9ee109823b879278f6.jpg

I used to do big rock piles till I discovered if you spread it out you have more surface area for coral and gives the fish a bigger swimming area both of these scapes took several weeks of trail and error till I was happy . so remember take your time Rome wasn't built in a day ,

it's like building blocks finding that one place that rock locks in with another one everything needs to be set in a way they don't shift over time . all rocks should start from the glass bottom than sand formed around them this gives a stable foundation .
also prevents sand dwellers from undermining the rocks causing a catastrophic rock slide.

the best way to build a scape is with 2 people one being the eyes directing and the other placing and setting the rock . A little trick I learned was to draw out a rough sketch of the type of scape your wanting it helps give you a direction and idea's of what the outcome should look like .

Last edited:
I have more rocks. To play with so I'll go at this weekend. I just have to deal with the one clown fish I have in there. She keeps attacking my hand when I move anything around

Clowns will do that. They establish stuff as theirs and don't want it to be messed with. Don't worry about it, they can't do any real damage...just give you a jump if you aren't paying attention and get nipped.

Any updates on how your rock work came out ?
would love to see what you came up with on the scape .

Still moving rocks around. Little here little there till I find that happy place20171030_151955.jpg

I like it has that natural look the only thing I would change is add another arch from the left to center , just be sure all the rocks are secure and wont move .

once you start adding coral and stuff you'll start seeing your creation evolve,
and with that type of scape I can in-vision some nice macro's worked in as well .

look forward seeing it as you add your magic (y)

Back
Top Bottom