Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sharks aren't as aggressive as people think they are, they will only eat things that fit into their mouth and fish that are slow. Puffers will do fine with a shark, my triggerfish constantly bothered my porcupine puffer so I took back but it never once puffed up for the couple days I had him. Anemones are a no go with sharks. They will sting the shark causing him to die. I've had an anemone with a shark before in a 75g when I rehomed him from a 20g. My 75g was a reef so it had coral and an anemone in it. He was stung a couple times so I quickly found him a permanent home in an LFS. The tomato clowns will do fine with the shark as well. Just stay away from fish under 4" and you'll be fine.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharklover
They will leave ur cleaner shrimp alone,urchins,and large hermits also but you may also be able to get some snails.but im not sure and if you get clowns you should get an anemone to protect them when they sleep
My main concern with shrimp is the eel... Large hermits and urchins may work. I'm not really interested in having clowns as I have a pair in my reef tank, possibly a large maroon clown down the road. I don't plan on an anemone.

Thanks

Old 03-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim
Sharks aren't as aggressive as people think they are, they will only eat things that fit into their mouth and fish that are slow. Puffers will do fine with a shark, my triggerfish constantly bothered my porcupine puffer so I took back but it never once puffed up for the couple days I had him. Anemones are a no go with sharks. They will sting the shark causing him to die. I've had an anemone with a shark before in a 75g when I rehomed him from a 20g. My 75g was a reef so it had coral and an anemone in it. He was stung a couple times so I quickly found him a permanent home in an LFS. The tomato clowns will do fine with the shark as well. Just stay away from fish under 4" and you'll be fine.
Yea I'm not planning on a nem. I have heard that puffers nip at coral cats, is the porcupine an exception? I love puffers and have always wanted one but not at the sharks expense.

Cheers
Old 03-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

It may. I'd recommend adding the shark first then the puffer a month later just to make sure the shark learns it's surroundings very well and establishes it's territory. Also start off with a 12" shark. Smaller ones are harder to wean to frozen foods.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
It may. I'd recommend adding the shark first then the puffer a month later just to make sure the shark learns it's surroundings very well and establishes it's territory. Also start off with a 12" shark. Smaller ones are harder to wean to frozen foods.
I would really enjoy to raise one from an egg and see the whole process, I figured I would add the egg in the tank alone and wait for the shark to hatch and begin feeding before adding tank mates. Whats your thought on that? I need to read up on weaning sharks, I am very dedicated to my tanks so I would be willing to put in the time to get him eating...

Cheers
Old 03-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you want to do that then go for it. Get feeder shrimp from sharksupply and other foods there. They will also help you wean your shark
Old 03-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
If you want to do that then go for it. Get feeder shrimp from sharksupply and other foods there. They will also help you wean your shark
Thanks for the link, I've heard of them on various threads but never checked them out, now I will.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
If I was considering a shark tank, I would get one of these and make a lagoon for top down viewing. Some rock throughout, and you can even keep a couple rays too.
American Farmland® Round Tank 8 x 2 in Plastic - 2177188 | Tractor Supply Company
Old 03-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
If I was considering a shark tank, I would get one of these and make a lagoon for top down viewing. Some rock throughout, and you can even keep a couple rays too.
American Farmland® Round Tank 8 x 2 in Plastic - 2177188 | Tractor Supply Company
That is awesome but my main drawback is my girlfriend! In order to get a shark it must also be a nice center piece in the living room. I could possibly move up to a lagoon style setup in the future, would be cool. I also have a guy who can give me a great deal on a custom acrylic build.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
That would be a nice centerpiece for the living room!

Tags
shark, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com