Planning for a future shark tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update on shark tank build:::

What do you guys think of this for a tank? I have been talking to my aquarium builder and am now thinking of a 250-300g acrylic cylinder aquarium, with a height of around 30". This way the shark would be able to swim in a circular pattern and wouldn't have any squared edges of the tank to harm itself on. I am also planning on setting up an auto water change system for automatic bimonthly water changes or weekly depending on bioload.

He also mentioned he can do an infinity tank so that there is no need for an overflow box. Here is an example of an infinity on a cube tank...

Any input before we go ahead with a build would be greatly appreciated!

Also here is a pic of the sump I have had built, it's about 50" wide with 2 7" filter sock holders... (from left to right) Section 1 is where the water comes in from the DT, and the skimmer pump is located, section 2 is the filter socks and skimmer return (into 1 of the socks), section 3 is the return pump section, section 4 is a place to store live feeder shrimp/ fish, plan to keep this section bare bottom.

image-1938219508.jpg

I am also thinking about a 50g refugium for macro algae or getting a large ATS algae turf scrubber built to sit along side the sump.

For a skimmer, I currently have an AquaC EV-240 on my 72g, but I am thinking an AquaC EV-1000 might be the way to go for this build... Open to suggestions.

For the stand I am going to have a metal frame (cylinder) built with covers so I can access all sides, this way I can place my filtration in a circle. Waiting to get the tank build before starting this.

For lighting, I am thinking of 16000k 30w LED floodlights on a frame (built to match metal stand) hanging from the ceiling. This tank not have any coral do it's purely for aesthetics and to let the fish know what time of day it is! I may also put some 10w red LED floodlights for nighttime viewing (just turn them on and off when I'm viewing the tank, I've tried this on my current tank and all the night critters don't seem bothered by it.

Any thoughts suggestions or comments welcome.

What kind of shark are you thinking of for this 300 cylinder? Nothing but cat sharks will work for that. If you want a free swimming shark like a black tip reef shark, you are going to need something about 3000 gallons, not 300.

mr_X said:
What kind of shark are you thinking of for this 300 cylinder? Nothing but cat sharks will work for that. If you want a free swimming shark like a black tip reef shark, you are going to need something about 3000 gallons, not 300.

Yea sorry if there was a confusion, if you look at the beginning of the thread it is a coral cat shark I am building the tank for.

Oh. Then I would keep the rock work to a minimum and leave a lot of room for the shark to cruise the bottom. Keep most of the rock in the sump.
Here was a 5000 gallon tank at a store that's pretty close to me. They had black tip reef sharks in this tank, and they would have to re-home them on a regular basis. So, scratch my original statement of 3000 gallons. Perhaps add yet another zero.
7.jpg

mr_X said:
Oh. Then I would keep the rock work to a minimum and leave a lot of room for the shark to cruise the bottom. Keep most of the rock in the sump.
Here was a 5000 gallon tank at a store that's pretty close to me. They had black tip reef sharks in this tank, and they would have to re-home them on a regular basis. So, scratch my original statement of 3000 gallons. Perhaps add yet another zero.

That's a great tank! Yea I plan to build a little rock around a center overflow leaving the majority of the sand bed open for swimming.

My main sump will be mostly filled with equipment so I still need to plan for an additional sump purely for rock.

I've never used a wet/ dry trickle filter but if setup properly on a FOWLR are they really the nitrate factory everyone claims they are or can that make up for the lack of rock in the tank? Haven't put much thought into this yet, still planning the tank first.

Cheers

Rays would love a cylinder tank like that too. I like how you are planning this out with the sharks interest in mind as opposite those who try to stick them in a 120 or something.

JustinKBreen said:
Rays would love a cylinder tank like that too. I like how you are planning this out with the sharks interest in mind as opposite those who try to stick them in a 120 or something.

I do love the blue spot rays, maybe one down the line, I want to start with just the shark and maybe a few tangs until the shark grows a bit before adding anything else. If I remember right they grow about 12" not including the tail right? I have seen some housed with a cat shark before at my lfs, anyone have opinions on their compatibility?

They are compatible with sharks but not with tangs. Tangs will pick on their eyes, thus blinding them.

Not to say they won't, but I've yet to personally see any tang show interest in rays. Angelfish are another story, however.

Innovator said:
Not to say they won't, but I've yet to personally see any tang show interest in rays. Angelfish are another story, however.

My LFS had problems so it's better safe than sorry. It's not that theyre aggressive towards the ray, it's that it thinks that it's food so curiosity kicks in. Some don't like Blue tangs.

Interesting, and good to know. Is it all tangs? I was mainly interested in a few yellow tangs and perhaps a hippo.

I have a marbled cat shark now and it eats any shrimp I put in there and it try's to eat my dog face puffer everyday

Do you have a 250 gallon tank that you are putting him in, rather then just keeping him in a 30 gallon tank?

He is in my 30 right now waiting for the 125 to cycle it is about 12 in it was suppose to 5 when I got him

I've been told by many places he would do great in a 125 he will only get 20 To 24 in but I plan on getting a round tub or swimming pool and sticking him in there with stingrays I want to get a octopus for the 75 gal or put him in the 125 I have not decided

Back
Top Bottom