Plans for a 30g FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshotty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently was giving a 30g long tank a stand and canopy for free from an aunt of mine and would like to begin and fowlr project, now i have many different ideas for the basic setup of the tank and equipment but i just dont know what i would like to do yet. So i figure ill lay out some questions and see how things go.

1. Filtration- i know very little about sumps other than there basic functions and the inside workings of each section of the sump but i dont understand the setup process for the return pump and water coming from the main tank. Do you need two pumps?, Do they need to be adjusted so there are no overflow issues? how much would a auto topoff/ shutoff unit be in case of a power outage? i know i could setup a overflow box but would that require me to drill the tank because i feel i dont quite have the experience with glass to be doing any cutting i could have my father do it though. Could i get away with a AC70 fuge mod and just LR for filtration with weekly water changes?

2. What could/should i keep in the tank? im really opened for anything

3. Do you think it would be a better idea to set the tank up as a reef given that i would have enough lighting for the job with an AquaticLife T5ho 36" 4x39w?

Thanks for your responses

I`m assuming you`ll have a HOB overflow if you have a sump or fuge. All you need for that size tank is one return pump. A reef tank might be nice. The only bad thing about a small tank like that is that it fills up pretty quick when it becomes a reef and then you wish you had a bigger tank. Your lighting should be good for that size tank.

i dont have a hob overflow yet i didnt know if i could just build a box, and drill the hole.Would a maxi-jet 1100 be enough for a return pump?

Back
Top Bottom