Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2005, 10:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tito2491 Send a message via MSN to Tito2491
Lol that would be unbelievable. if it does happen then we can all save
alot of money

Old 02-19-2005, 09:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Well the silk plant has been in the tank since tuesday and there has been no takers yet. they pretty much ignore it....

...but it does make my tank look pretty! I can't wait to get some real corals in there!!!

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Correct, the anemone hosts the clown, not the other way around. I have been told that the anemone needs to "invite" the clown to come on in. I have not heard of any success with fake anemones. A LFS by me has tried it for a long time and failed. The clowns just ignored it. Let us know what happens.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:17 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

my clownfish hosts, or rather is hosted by my power head. the other day after i was doing some water changes, i forgot to plug back in the power head and my clown just kept looking at it and sticking his little head inside the hole the water comes out of like he couldnt figure out what happened to his beloved machine. but he adores it. he rubs all over the top and nuzzles the sides all day, and even bit me once when i tried to take it out to move it. i almost wish he wasnt hosting or again being hosted by it, because he spends all day by the stupid thing, and never ventures more than a few inches away from it. nonetheless, its cute
Old 02-22-2005, 08:45 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Otherwise, think of the clown's broken little heart when the fake anenome doesn't take his food offering.
Actually, from my experience, clown fish usually do not want to feed their anemones. In the wild, it is actually very unlikely that a clownfish will feed the anemone. Because clownfish are so small and such poor swimmers, anytime they stray from their anemone could mean death. If a clownfish has to travel, for example, 3 feet from its host to catch a passing tidbit of food, it is highly unlikely that it will offer it to the anemone (it wants the food for itself). Anemones, however, have several methods of obtaining nutrition. They feed continuously on planktonic organisms in the water column. They are nourished by zooanthellae algae within their cells. They have the ability to catch and consume an unassuming fish or crustacean. They are also nourished by the nitrogeneous wastes produced by the clownfish.
In captivity, however, a well fed clownfish MAY bring food back to the anemone. However, I have never witnessed this. On the other hand, I have seen clownfish actually take food away from their host. Some hobbyists have also reported their clownfish dropping chunks of food (too large too fit into their mouths) into the anemone. However, they believe this was accidental and the clownfish was not intending to feed the anemone. JMHO.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:11 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
oop! they were playing around with the silk plant a bit today...hopefully something happens soon!!!

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plant, plants, plastic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com