Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Play sand and Lava rock

I tranfered my 20 gallon setup over to a 40 breeder and my fishless cycle has been done for several weeks and all is stable.
0 nitrite
0 Amonia
79F
<5 Nitrate
8.0-8.1 PH

I have just added 2 percula clowns to my 40 breeder and they are loving life. They're PVC playground is just a riot to watch. I have 1 bag of black "live" sand as the substrate but was wondering what people thought about the aragonite play sand at the home depot or lowes. Can that safely be used in a fish only tank starting out eventualy going to a FOWLR? The large footprint of the 40 breeder is nice but it needs a lot of substrate, especially if I decide to get another yellow headed jawfish. Budget is the factor and reason for asking. There are posts where people say they used it but I could not find a topic discussion on it weighing the pros and cons and downfalls of it. If anyone knows of a resource or post of this let me know please. I am most curious if it creates enough buffer to hold hardness and PH stable. If not I think this would make a good discussion by the experienced for the less than experienced. In the past I have always gone with crushed coral but thought that the black sand would look good with the clowns. Now I am thinking that it was not a smart move as the stocking list I have picked out are mostly lighter colored fish and they may never feel comfortable on a substrate they have no chance of blending in with. The Percula's look very nice over it though.

I also was wondering if Lava rock can be used for substrate and decoration. It's very porous obviously but I can't find any info on if it leaches anything out into the water. Thanks for any insight or input.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`ve always heard that Lava rock will leach heavy metals into your water. I`ve never used Lava rock so I cant be 100% sure but that`s what I heard. Maybe you can check it out. I definitely would not use it for a substrate.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I echo Mel here ... Tho I have had the opertunity to find faux lava I am wondering if this would be safe for frags ?
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to harmy4993
Play sand is safe lave rock isnt...there is a debate of wether or not play sand causes extra diatom. But because its a debate and people been using it for years i decided to use it. I used play sand in a planted aquarium with no problems and am using it in my reef tank that is currently cycling
fan of http://www.reefcleaners.org/
harmy4993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
people used to use southdown sand for some reason over other play sand. i think it's because of what region it is collected from, but it's the silicates in non-aragonite based sand that people feel cause issues with algae, not just diatoms.
i've also heard the lava rock/metals thing.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks guys or gals. 86 the lavarock and see what play sand mixed with black sand looks like. And the play sand buffers good?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Play sand doesn't buffer at all. Silica is completely inert.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
I've used something like Southdown sand in my brichardi tank, and it seemed pretty similar to the aragonite I've seen. I used it to increase pH and hardness, and it did its job pretty well. The larger pieces were more flakey than granular, but I haven't seen it or Southdown in a few years. It was under the castle brand
Old 07-27-2010, 05:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to harmy4993
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
people used to use southdown sand for some reason over other play sand. i think it's because of what region it is collected from, but it's the silicates in non-aragonite based sand that people feel cause issues with algae, not just diatoms.
i've also heard the lava rock/metals thing.
I dont see how the silicates in play sand can cause other algae problems. From the reading i did. Its the same sand used to make the tank glass. and yes your aquairium glass leaches silicates into the water over time. So it your aquarium is doing it and not causeing algae then how is the play sand?
fan of http://www.reefcleaners.org/
harmy4993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:08 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i don't know. i'm just repeating what i've read. i've never used it.

Tags
rock, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com