Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michaelb406

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
R these white spots on my tomini tang normal ? He's had them for a few weeks now. Eating fine and very active still. Please help

I have zero experience with marine fish but it doesn't look like ich, especially if he's eating fine. Wish I could be more of a help. BTW if you didn't know ich is a common aquaria parasite that covers your fish in white specs.

Tangs are more susceptible to ich than other fish and they can actually be eating fine when affected by the parasite.

Are you able to upload a couple more pictures of the fish as its hard to see from that photo.

If it is affected you need to take action ASAP. What size tank do you have and what do you have in it?

It's a 60 gallon and I have a flame angel and a Koran angel

image-4057268667.jpg

image-1523505517.jpg

Best pics I can get with my iPhone. Hope it's better.

Yes, I can't say for sure that it is ich, but a tang in a small tank rings alarm bells. What happened to the 180g upgrade you were planning? Do you have a QT? There are plenty of threads on here about ich. Only 2 cures I am afraid and both are recommended in a QT while your display remains fallow ( empty ) for at least 6 weeks. Only a fish free tank will allow the ich to die and don't be fooled if visible symptoms go away, it is still there and can come back at a later stage, often worse. Have a good read up on it and good luck, I hear its a tough battle...

Microbe-lift makes a product called herbtana it's and all natural immunity booster that helps treat for ich and is totally safe to use in your show tank. I have used it before with success the treatment is a little bit longer than a chemical treatment but it is a lot easier on your livestock. They make marine and freshwater specific treatment and its fairly inexpensive.

What are your parameters? What have you been feeding and what has it been eating? Those almost look like scrapes...are they fuzzy/cottony (if thats a word)? It does not look like Ich to me. I believe that poor water parameters and/or malnourishment can cause that sort of thing.

I've said it dozens of times, but my observations have been that saltwater fish being out into smaller that suggested tanks tend to have problems. Stressed fish pick stuff up a lot easier. When you read through all the "My fish has something" posts, it is rarely when it is is a proper sized tank. You also hear a lot of "but it is really small and I'm going to get a bigger tank later" stories. IMO, the idea of buying it smaller does not make a difference. Most sites give a min tank requirement, which to me means you are starting with the min sized fish. The min for a Tomini is 75g and the min for a Koran is 250g.

tank less than 6ft can cause stress and be more susceptible to disease. Tnags catch Ick easier than any other fish I know of.

A few Tangs (Kole, Tomini, etc) are okay in 75+ tanks, but its wise to treat those as true minimums. It's easy to think "it's only a few gallons less", but it is less.

That looks like the beginnings of head and lateral line erosion to me. Doe it look like a hole forming in the fish? It's a fairly common disorder in large angelfish and tangs, but I don't recall ever having seen it on a tomini before. I don't think they know for sure what causes it, but I think diet is the main suspect. If that is what it is, the good news is it isn't immediately fatal. The bad news is the fish gets pretty ugly over time.

Ich looks like salt grains on the fish by comparison.

Yeah I agree it doesn't look like ich esp since its confined to such a small area of the fish

Back
Top Bottom