Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just got water tested at lfs and guy says my water is **** near perfect. Which is what I tested. So I am lost here. I am picking up the amquel plus. But he says based on my water it won't do much because my parameters seem great.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

The question is the type of cycle you did. I saw you added Dr Tims I think it was, which does not give a true cycle of the rocks. It adds ammonia and ammonia eating bacteria to the water column. A week later all the ammonia is gone, but the bacteria mostly die too. As for the local water test, add some salt to a galon of water and take it to get tested. Perfect. Add a fish to it and it will die soon from ammonia poisoning. The test means nothing on its own.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IceMan72

I agree with everything being told to you here. If you want to keep your anemone your going to need a stronger light. Two 10K bulbs are not going to give it the proper light it needs to live happy.

This is the cheapest light I could find that I believe will do the Job.

Coralife Lunar Aqualight T5 Lamp High Output Fixture

It's a great investment as you can add some low light coral down the road and really make your tank pop!!

You need to take your fish back to the LFS and cycle your tank properly. I suggest you go to the local supermarket and buy a two or three uncooked shrimp and some clean panty hose. Put the shrimp into the hose and throw it into your tank! Three to Four weeks your tank should be cycled! It will be a strong cycle and you will know your tank is safe and ready for your first fish!

Always add slowly to allow more bacteria to build up! Slow wins this race!
Don't feel discouraged, a lot of people make the mistake of starting up a tank fast! I did! I lost my whole freshwater tank because I decided to go fast! I got out of the hobby for a year until I decided to research and do it right!

Good Luck!!
Old 10-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks a mill guys.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dr Tim's works, if done properly. I've used it on two tanks and never had problems with getting ammonia or nitrites afterwards. Did you just use One &Only or did you add the ammonia that they sell (or some of your own)? Just like any cycle, it needs an ammonia source. They have detailed instructions on their site.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just found a stink bug stuck to my power head. When I pulled it out it was reaking. Could that have killed my fish, snails and crabs?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman72 View Post
I just found a stink bug stuck to my power head. When I pulled it out it was reaking. Could that have killed my fish, snails and crabs?
Maybe you daughter put that stink bug in there???
Old 10-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Naaa in Pa because of the unseasonable warm weather stink bugs are everywhere again. We've been keeping doors and house fan on. She would never do that.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Idk why everyone keeps going to the improper cycle response. He tests the water daily and even had a secondary source verify his results. Also ive always used API and have never had an issue. Whats your ph at? Id test it at 2 different times. Test it mid day then late at night. Also if your test is showing 0 ammonia and the Lfs verified that. I wouldnt even consider addind amquel or whatever was mentioned. It prob wont do a single thing and may add to the problem.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
Idk why everyone keeps going to the improper cycle response. He tests the water daily and even had a secondary source verify his results. Also ive always used API and have never had an issue. Whats your ph at? Id test it at 2 different times. Test it mid day then late at night. Also if your test is showing 0 ammonia and the Lfs verified that. I wouldnt even consider addind amquel or whatever was mentioned. It prob wont do a single thing and may add to the problem.
Yeah I took my water to two different lfs and both had exact same results as me. I will test pH again today twice. Btw my second clown died this morning. The clean up crew is doing an amazing job. It appears they only work 3rd shift lol. My yellow tail blue damsel is looking as healthy and happy as day one. The anemone decided to move down since last night.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com