Please help me!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackfish down

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,im taking care of my friends tank and need help lowering the tanks nitrites. Please tell me how i can do this.

What are the readings? How old is the tank. Did you take the ammonia and nitrate tests as well?

(how long it has been set up) not the glass of filter or anything.

Ok, if you can't go out and buy a product, the best thing for you to do is a partial water change (pwc)

Has he shown you how to use the dechlorinator/tap water conditioner? What type of fish are in it?

Water change or have another "guy" test the water to make sure. If it's a fish only then the high nitrites are not so critical but in a reef system you will need to lower them ASAP.

I have fish only and even added fish with high nitrites. How do i do change

You take out about 20% of the water and then add new water. The new water has to be at the same temp as the tank water and you have to dechlorinate it or else you will hurt the fish and kill the beneficial bacteria that lives in your filter and substrate.

Yes it would, you will also have to add marine salt back into your aquarium by dissolving it in some dechlorinated water before adding it to the tank.

And or could i add nitrate reduction chemicals and not have to do water change

A) why would he leave you in this situation
B) I know it's none of my business
C) the easiest thing to do would be to dose 5x prime
Supra

Luna09 said:
Yes it would, you will also have to add marine salt back into your aquarium by dissolving it in some dechlorinated water before adding it to the tank.

Sorry but if he did that he would kill his fish.

You have to mix new saltwater in a container. Like a 5g bucket. Mix the salt into the water until the salinity is reached that matches the salinity of the tank. If using tap water now is the time to add dechlorinator. Place in a heater to heat the water to the same temp as the tank. Make sure the water is thoroughly mixed and the salt dissolved at let sit for a few hours to be sure everything is dissolved and properly mixed.

Drain 5g (or whatever amount you are changing and replace with the new mixed saltwater.

Pm me if you need further help

Back
Top Bottom