PLEASE HELP me set up my 46gal. bow front

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pooter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55gal. with african cichlids doing great. And a tall 20gal. with two damsels and a clown. Beleave it or not they all three get along (no GEEHAA). What I am thinking about doing is putting the damsels and clown in my new 46gal. bow front and adding a puffer. I am still kinda new at this so I really need some advice. Will this work? If so will there be room for a couple of other fish? I dont have to move the 3 amigos from the 20 gal. And a puffer is not a must. My favorite is the lion fish but I know 46 gal. is to small.
Somebody help me figure out the perfect setup for my new tank please. I dont like to see fish picking on other fish. I dont want them to be over crowded. And I want pretty healthy fish.
thanks,
jsfjsfjsf121212@hotmail.com

do you have a place for the cichlids? make sure that you have a third tank because the 46 gallon is going to have to cycle for quite some time before you can put the salt fish in there. also, if you have used certain kinds of chemicals, i think anything with iron in it is extremley bad, then the tank cannot have invertabre. also, if you are going to move the fish and try to get new ones, have you thought about not moving the damsels? i don't have them myself, but a lot of people on this site don't recommend them. there is plenty of room in the new tank for them and a few others, but talk to some more people about which fish are okay.

i would first find a place for the cichilds, and then start worrying about equipment. hope i helped out a little. good luck and welcome to aquarium advice.

I commend you for really caring about your fish. Alot of people dont care and dont worry about it. IMO I would leave the the fish in the 20 and use the 46 to have a reef tank. You`ll have to keep them there for a while anyway till you cycle the 46. Reef tanks sure do look good.

What kind of puffer? They will probably eat most of your clean up crew. I think, they might be a little crowded in that tank.

stevefromga2000 said:
do you have a place for the cichlids? make sure that you have a third tank because the 46 gallon is going to have to cycle for quite some time before you can put the salt fish in there. also, if you have used certain kinds of chemicals, i think anything with iron in it is extremley bad, then the tank cannot have invertabre. also, if you are going to move the fish and try to get new ones, have you thought about not moving the damsels? i don't have them myself, but a lot of people on this site don't recommend them. there is plenty of room in the new tank for them and a few others, but talk to some more people about which fish are okay.

i would first find a place for the cichilds, and then start worrying about equipment. hope i helped out a little. good luck and welcome to aquarium advice.
I am sorry I did not make myself clear.......The cichlids are in a 55gal. totally different tank. The 46gal bow front is a new tank. The tall 20 gal. with the clown and two damsels is a thirs tank.

I believe it depends on what type of damsels. What kind do you have now?

melosu58 said:
I commend you for really caring about your fish. Alot of people dont care and dont worry about it. IMO I would leave the the fish in the 20 and use the 46 to have a reef tank. You`ll have to keep them there for a while anyway till you cycle the 46. Reef tanks sure do look good.
Reef tanks are beautiful. But I dont know if I am experanced enough yet to tackle that. I hear mega bucks too. Lights and the reefs are very very high????????I think.............However that would be my first choice. Reefs with my clown and maybe a few other small fish and leave the damsels where there at. But I dont have another $500. or $600. bucks to put out.

I only have VHO lights. The retro fit kit only cost 250.00. If you take it slow like I have (nine yrs) you will be OK. Yes VHO`s will not allow you all corals but you can have a tank like this

img_712233_0_fa2f70470cedd734ba890da84406af99.jpg

Keep in mind that is nine years of work. You dont have to have the most expensive lights to have a succesful reef tank. We`ll help you along the way. Whatever you decide good luck.

If you want to keep the damsels you could put a small puffer in there, but as was said before, they will most likely munch on your crabs and snails. As for more fish... that puffer will put a larger load on your tank, and the damsels will stay fiesty... so I wouldn't add more unless you nix the damsels. I used to have a small porc puffer in my 46 bow and he was the best little guy ever. However, I would not have been able to keep him in that tank for too long as they get rather large. Long term planning I would go for a smaller sharp nose puffer.

But remember I have a clown too. And he is my main fish. He is my buddy............So we are talking 1 clown and 2 damsels..............Do you still think im ok?

The clown and the biggest blue damsel are just a bit smaller than a quarter. Somebody told me thats why the damsel is not picking on the clown. Im I in danger of a GEEHAA breaking out in there when they get larger? Should I go ahead and get my puffer while there small. What kind of puffer can I get that wont go after my cleanup crew?............So many questions and so few answers :x ............The good news is this is day 2 after the move and all three seem healthy and happy.

sorry to bud in, i would just like to know if you can tell me how wide your 46 bow front is? im tinking of getting a 46 or a 72, leaning twoard 72 becuase of the dimentions.

i didnt think there was a puffer that would fit into a 46 gal. i dont think there is one that wont eat your clean up crew either. either way, check out this to find out http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=39

vsnsofadrgn said:
sorry to bud in, i would just like to know if you can tell me how wide your 46 bow front is? im tinking of getting a 46 or a 72, leaning twoard 72 becuase of the dimentions.

i didnt think there was a puffer that would fit into a 46 gal. i dont think there is one that wont eat your clean up crew either. either way, check out this to find out http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=39

36wide 20 high 18 front to back in center.Let me ask you this does everybody out there with a puffers get there clean up crew ate? I gotta lot of fake coral that actually looks good. Wont this help my crew from getting ate? I know I cant have the real puffer (with the spikes) but some of the smaller ones are pretty cool too and have alot of color. If not a puffer what would you suggest to go with clown and damsels. Damsels go to LSF if any sign of picking on clown. There kinda boring anyway.

Back
Top Bottom