Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

theres no reason you should be doing a 33% weekly water change to keep trates low. theres something else going on in that tank. what aare the specs on that tank? filtration? powerheads? skimemr? reactors? etc

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Smile

Hi! If you don't mind I want chime in......my lfs store owner advised me to feed a very small amount every other day to keep my nitrates in check.....and the reason he gave is that if you over feed any uneattin food decays thus causing your nitrates to rise because your biological filter (live rock) can't keep up. I have read the same thing on many forums. It makes logical sense to. But I am fairly new to salt water aquariums myself and still learning....I do know when I cut back to a small amount every other day my nitraits did in fact drop like a rock. I also use RO water....and buy my salt water already mixed at my local lfs.....sence I am lucky enough to have on 10 min away....one more thing....feeding less did the trick for me...not a bunch of big water changes.......my current wc schedule is 10% every other week.....

Old 11-28-2013, 02:56 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

reducing feeding shouldnt be the answer to lowering nitrates IMO. there is a decent number of marine fish species that in reality should be fed 2-3 times a day....so feeding every other day isnt exactly in the best interest. adjusting and finding the proper amount of food for a daily feeding should yield the same results as reduced every other day feeding. also flowrate helps a ton... if you have the proper flow patterns in your tank, it should suspend the uneaten food long enough to be picked up by some form of filtration.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:33 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

The way I see it the more food that goes in even if its eaten the more nitrate as the more fish poop which is obv ammonia and thus the nitrogen cycle starts and if you donthave enough live rock or a way if dealing with nitrates they're going to rise
Old 11-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #15

Woodys reply is one reason i want to go ahead with more rock...going to be ordering some rock and misc from reefcleaners soon....

I thought i read it was ro/di water that lacked some good stuff... I understand how much better it is but didnt ever see anything about distilled like that... Thanks ill have to check it out
Old 11-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #16

Woodys reply is one reason i want to go ahead with more rock...going to be ordering some rock and misc from reefcleaners soon....

I thought i read it was ro/di water that lacked some good stuff... I understand how much better it is but didnt ever see anything about distilled like that... Thanks ill have to check it out

Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving !
Old 11-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody390
The way I see it the more food that goes in even if its eaten the more nitrate as the more fish poop which is obv ammonia and thus the nitrogen cycle starts and if you donthave enough live rock or a way if dealing with nitrates they're going to rise
Although i agree to a certain extent, your theory is flawed. Only reason being is because you arent factoring in actual usable nutritional value of the food. The higher the usable value, the lower the waste volume
Old 11-29-2013, 02:02 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree with both of you although on one hand my reef has been thriving for over 5 years and I have never had a problem with fish being underfed and I always only feed every other day rotating between flakes and brine shrimp. Also I have a 55 gal tank with a 40 gal sump loaded with over 100 lbs of live rock, I have more rock than needed, but I can handle any bio load or amount of food on this setup as I have done tests and never seen a nitrate reading always0. And I checked my test kit. So on the other hand you can feed everyday the amount of food needed by your fish if you simply get a lot more live rocks and a better filtration system!!! More filtration is better!! that's truly the only PROPER solution!!! IMPO!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com