Porcupine Puffer - Crunchies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rejoice

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a pretty small 3 inch p. puffer, he has a very healthy appetite but I'm having a hard time finding something crunchy for him. Clams (even salad clams) are too big and he ignores them. The shrimp with shells look too big still and if I cut them, I think the shells would just fall off.

Surely I'm not the only person who has owned a small Puffer, what do you or did you feed yours for it's crunchy fix.

I thought about giving him Ghost Shrimp, but I know your not suppose to feed them freshy food, but would it hurt until he grew a bit bigger? Or would that be sabotage his health while he grows.

Any thoughts?

How about krill? It's smaller than a shrimp and can be bought frozen with shells on.

Sorry...idiot question.

How can you tell if it has a shell or not? Mine is San Francisco Bay Brand and doesn't indicate if the shell is removed.

He already loves Krill and if that's all he needs that would be superb, until he's bigger.

Well, it should still have shells but when you thaw it out, maybe try to peel one I guess just to be sure.

do you have liverock in the tank? they will chew on rock if there is nothing else available.

So, they naturally will chew on stuff to keep their teeth from overgrowing?

yes, it is good to provide them with an assortment of items..like a dog with a bunch of chewtoys

Back
Top Bottom