Porcupinne puffer not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimmyy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, so i have this puffer in a QT with puffer and had him for about 3 days now. I dnt think its the copper because I did a huge WC and did not add copper to the QT. He is with a few others in the tank and today it looked like he was attacking my humu trigger which is very verg aggressive.

I kne he is hungry but he will not eat anything I give him. I tried frozen krill, fresh shrimp with and w/o the shell, and silversides but he swims right pass the food. He is the newest in the QT and idk what to try next. Any ideas please?! Thanks

try some live feeder shrimp or live brine shrimp
or try soaking food in garlic extract the all natural no additives you can get it at grocery store in Chinese section ,
If you can't get him to eat I'd bring him back , when ever you buy a fish always ask the person selling it to feed it so you know he is eating ,

"good thought hank"(y)

What are the parameters? If under stressful conditions a fish won't eat.

Hmm I was told the only parameters I should check in a qt is my ammonia all the time and I am using the ammonia badge which shows no ammonia.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

try some live feeder shrimp or live brine shrimp
or try soaking food in garlic extract the all natural no additives you can get it at grocery store in Chinese section ,
If you can't get him to eat I'd bring him back , when ever you buy a fish always ask the person selling it to feed it so you know he is eating ,

"good thought hank"(y)

Yup I tried the soaked garlic didnt work but I havent tried anything live yet but I will tomorrow :). But do you think those live shrimps are too small for him to eat? Yes I learned my lesson with that... I was so excited that they had finally got the fish that I just grabbed it!

How big is he you do know they can get over a foot in size, hope you have a tank big enough for him .
no food is to small to eat , to big maybe .. if he is anything like my puffer he swims slow and mellow
can you see if he has a snail shell or hermit shell lodged in his mouth that would stop him from eating .
how high is your salinity
did you check all your parameters

How big is he you do know they can get over a foot in size, hope you have a tank big enough for him .
no food is to small to eat , to big maybe .. if he is anything like my puffer he swims slow and mellow
can you see if he has a snail shell or hermit shell lodged in his mouth that would stop him from eating .
how high is your salinity
did you check all your parameters

He is prob like 4 inches long now and he is pretty wide. Ok i didnt knw that I thought it had to be big enough for hom to see it to eat lol. Umm Idk if I can but I can bring him back to where i bought him so they can check. My salinity is 1.024, and I was told in a qt you should just be on top of your ammonia and right now im not showing any traces of ammonia. But i havent checked for anything else.

the badge for ammonia is virtually useless... need a good quality test kit to actually know if you have ammonia.

the badge for ammonia is virtually useless... need a good quality test kit to actually know if you have ammonia.

IMO it works very well and whenever there is ammonia the color does change. Never had a problem using the badge, n I do have a test kit but since I'm using copper I hear the results will be off so tht's where the badge comes in handy.

IMO it works very well and whenever there is ammonia the color does change. Never had a problem using the badge, n I do have a test kit but since I'm using copper I hear the results will be off so tht's where the badge comes in handy.

yes it works, but think about this..

if it says there is 2ppm ammonia, when there is 100ppm ammonia (just in theory) then you would assume its working however it truly is not working. do you see how that can be confusing. thats why an accurate test kit is needed, i dont believe copper should mess it up?

yes it works, but think about this..

if it says there is 2ppm ammonia, when there is 100ppm ammonia (just in theory) then you would assume its working however it truly is not working. do you see how that can be confusing. thats why an accurate test kit is needed, i dont believe copper should mess it up?

You knw what I haven't used the test kit at all because of what I have been reading online when using copper but I guess it doesn't hurt to try myself right lol so I'll be testing it today to see what happens!

Why do you keep mentioning copper? A puffer should never be exposed to copper. A puffer should never be kept in any tank that has ever had copper in it or any rocks, sand, etc that has ever been exposed to copper.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why do you keep mentioning copper? A puffer should never be exposed to copper. A puffer should never be kept in any tank that has ever had copper in it or any rocks, sand, etc that has ever been exposed to copper.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes I did read that for puffers but that is what I use in my qt, I'm always very careful increasing the dosage and he is fine, just couldn't get him to eat but I think it's because he was new but now he is fine eating n all over the place

Back
Top Bottom