Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

possible cause?

I noticed something else in the tank and was wondering if it could be related to what might be wrong w/ the bubble coral. My Angelfish has a white spot on it's side, and my blue tang has a white dot on his top fin at the very very top. My Angelfish had a bout of ich ealier, but it's been gone for few weeks now? It doesn't look like ich at all. They are acting very normal. Should I QT for this too?

Old 05-14-2004, 03:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my nitrate in at 40...it says on the test kit that that is ok??? my nitrite is 0 and alk is 300 i think maybe higher and my ph is 8.3. cal is just over 500

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:09 PM   #3
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowninround
my nitrate in at 40...it says on the test kit that that is ok??? my nitrite is 0 and alk is 300 i think maybe higher and my ph is 8.3. cal is just over 500
This is will be most of the problem. For an FO/FOWLR tank, the higher nitrates would not be a concern but stoney corals do very poorly. That coupled with your chemistry 17 DKG (6 mEq/l) alk and the higher calcium can stress the coral greatly. Especially if it was not acclimated slowly enough (dripped?).

I would definately suggest a few 20% water changes over the next few days with well aged SW. Be sure you match salinity, pH and temp. That should help with your chem issue and nitrate. I would also suggest testing the new SW after it's been mixing for about 6-12 hours to see if it's contributing to you high chem. If dosing is the result, ease back and be sure you test before you add anything. Eventually you will get a feeling for the rate of depletion and the alk/Ca additions will become easier.

As far as fish ailments, the coral will not be affected by them. The water quality that can sometimes bring about bacterial infections, fugus and lympho in fish will however cause corals to deteriorate. I think getting the water specs in line will help for the most part.

How was the angel treated for the ich?

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-15-2004, 11:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The angel was treated with kick ich by ruby reef. It worked very well. He lost all but one spot in about 2 days then the last spot dissappeared soon afterward. I treated all the fish just in case.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com