Possibly adding a Tang, advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonrusso

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, last weekend I started a thread on possibly adding a good size (about 2 1/2") six line wrasse to my 150 FOWLER. He was going in with a big porcupine puffer, 5-6" Harlequin Tusk, foxface, dwarf eel, and small angler. I read everywhere how a six line can be aggressive so to be honest, I was worried that he would harass my existing fish. I got some feedback from a couple forums and some said the other fish might eat him, but knowing the size I wasn't concer
I took the plunge on Sunday and brought him home. Almost immediately, my Tusk started chasing after him trying to bite him. I have had my Tusk for 2 1/2 years, and I have never seen him go after anyone. I have added anglers, small lions, and a melanarus wrasse (keep reading) and I have never seen any aggression. I added the foxface 3 weeks ago, and I may have seen him quickly swim at the foxface a couple times but never tried to bite at all!! After 3 days the foxface was out and about.

Well, the sixline made it until Monday morning, but the tusk kept him confined to a top corner all day. He went to sleep in a lower corner on Monday night and I saw him sleeping in a cave Tuesday morning. When I got home from work Tuesday, he was dead. He was beat up pretty bad. Let me add that I truly feel awful about this. I hate losing a fish, and when it is a beautiful little guy I put into this situation it breaks my heart. I thought this was just "initiation" and would end.

After doing a little more research, I read from some people that a Harlequin is pretty passive unless another wrasse is added, in which case they lose it and kill them quickly. When I added my melanarus last year, he quickly hid in the sand. I didn't see him again for 4 months until I saw the dead fish under a rock. I now think my tusk killed him as well when I wasn't home.

That being said, if I bought a Tang (as I was also considering), would this have happened? 3 weeks ago, he didn't bother with a foxface who is supposedly more passive than a six line? I obviously can't get another wrasse. Well, last weekend I started a thread on possibly adding a good size (about 2 1/2") six line wrasse to my 150 FOWLER. He was going in with a big porcupine puffer, 5-6" Harlequin Tusk, foxface, dwarf eel, and small angler. I read everywhere how a six line can be aggressive so to be honest, I was worried that he would harass my existing fish. I got some feedback from a couple forums and some said the other fish might eat him, but knowing the size I wasn't concer
I took the plunge on Sunday and brought him home. Almost immediately, my Tusk started chasing after him trying to bite him. I have had my Tusk for 2 1/2 years, and I have never seen him go after anyone. I have added anglers, small lions, and a melanarus wrasse (keep reading) and I have never seen any aggression. I added the foxface 3 weeks ago, and I may have seen him quickly swim at the foxface a couple times but never tried to bite at all!! After 3 days the foxface was out and about.

Well, the sixline made it until Monday morning, but the tusk kept him confined to a top corner all day. He went to sleep in a lower corner on Monday night and I saw him sleeping in a cave Tuesday morning. When I got home from work Tuesday, he was dead. He was beat up pretty bad. Let me add that I truly feel awful about this. I hate losing a fish, and when it is a beautiful little guy I put into this situation it breaks my heart. I thought this was just "initiation" and would end.

After doing a little more research, I read from some people that a Harlequin is pretty passive unless another wrasse is added, in which case they lose it and kill them quickly. When I added my melanarus last year, he quickly hid in the sand. I didn't see him again for 4 months until I saw the dead fish under a rock. I now think my tusk killed him as well when I wasn't home.

That being said, if I bought a Tang (as I was also considering), would this have happened? 3 weeks ago, he didn't bother with a foxface who is supposedly more passive than a six line? I obviously can't get another wrasse.

Well, last weekend I started a thread on possibly adding a good size (about 2 1/2") six line wrasse to my 150 FOWLER. He was going in with a big porcupine puffer, 5-6" Harlequin Tusk, foxface, dwarf eel, and small angler. I read everywhere how a six line can be aggressive so to be honest, I was worried that he would harass my existing fish. I got some feedback from a couple forums and some said the other fish might eat him, but knowing the size I wasn't concer

That being said, if I bought a Tang (as I was also considering), would this have happened? 3 weeks ago, he didn't bother with a foxface who is supposedly more passive than a six line? I obviously can't get another wrasse.

best way to stock would be like this , least aggressive first than semi aggressive than aggressive last ,

I always seemed to have good luck stocking like this , now since I have a good amount of established fish it's a lot harder now I find the best time to add new fish is after dark

Like I said, my Tusk has never shown aggression (that I saw) to any new addition

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

a harlequin Tusk is a more aggressive of the wrasse family it may be harder to add a tang to the tank because the tusk will most likely stress out the tang

Why didn't he bother the foxface? Was it possibly wrasse on wrasse violence?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I always said the same about my red corris wrasse and my dragon wrasse now I know better.
they snap on a instant then there perfectly fine again till the next time there very unpredictable

size of the fish is what helped the fox face
the six line is like a instant snack

Which one was aggressive?

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

both of mine are aggressive I also keep a trigger with them
most of the wrasses listed in fish only section of most vendors are more aggressive ,
I would never add anything smaller than the existing fish in a aggressive or even in a community reef tank ,doing this cuts down on bullying

Back
Top Bottom