Possibly adding more rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had a few questions concerning adding more rock. First of all, I find it hard to pass up .89 cents a pound. I Currently have about 60# of fiji live rock in my 55 gallon. I was thinking of adding about 20-ish or so more with that good of a deal. Would the florida dry work ok with the fiji?

First of all have people had good experiences with marco rocks?

2nd, How would I go about putting this rock in my aquarium? Should I 'cure' it even though its dry/dead rock? if so for how long?

And whats the best way of adding it? I'm starting to get a small amount of coraline growth and dont want to shut off any light to it. I'm not sure what would be the easiest way to stack it.. LOL. I also dont want to stress out my fish too much.

I figure my fish could use a few more hiding spots. Thought I'd get some input on this :)

I have used mark's base rock and been pleased. I have found there are quite a few dried out critters (which could cause an ammonia spike). It is SUPER porous and great stuff.
If I were adding it, I would find the critters, scrub them off and put them in a tote for about a week and test for ammonia. If you don't see ammonia, you can add it to your tank.

I had a few questions concerning adding more rock. First of all, I find it hard to pass up .89 cents a pound. I Currently have about 60# of fiji live rock in my 55 gallon. I was thinking of adding about 20-ish or so more with that good of a deal. Would the florida dry work ok with the fiji?

First of all have people had good experiences with marco rocks?

2nd, How would I go about putting this rock in my aquarium? Should I 'cure' it even though its dry/dead rock? if so for how long?

And whats the best way of adding it? I'm starting to get a small amount of coraline growth and dont want to shut off any light to it. I'm not sure what would be the easiest way to stack it.. LOL. I also dont want to stress out my fish too much.

I figure my fish could use a few more hiding spots. Thought I'd get some input on this :)

I just bought some of the same rock. .89 cent a LB is an Awesome deal.

They have a good reputation. I`ve heard good things about them. The rock will become live after a while.

Yeah I order yesterday says same day or next day I still haven't heard anything yet I guess will go from there...

Sorry guys, but you are in for a disappointment.

I ordered rock from him back in August, I still don't have it. He gave me exuse after excuse throughout August and September, it was always just two weeks away "promise."

Then he made up this whole story about Fiji being hard to contact (its not, it has phones and internet) and a huge conspiracy about illegally harvested rock over the annual quota freezing everything.

Then in November he stopped answering his phone. Stopped answering his email. Stopped updating his website.

Hopefully you have better luck with the Florida (I ordered Fiji), I still don't have my money back :(

It seemed to be he was still waiting on Fiji. So Im hoping alls well with the florida rock, apparently lots in stock. I've heard mostly good things from his site. I'm hopefull

His merchandise is supposedly quality if you can get it. However, no matter how good your stuff is dodging your customers phone calls/emails for three months isn't the sign of a class act. I wonder if he imagines I just sat around with an empty tank for five months twiddling my thumbs waiting on him, thats the only excuse he could have for not refunding me (I left at least a half dozen voicemails telling him to cancel my order).

Sorry guys, but you are in for a disappointment.

I ordered rock from him back in August, I still don't have it. He gave me exuse after excuse throughout August and September, it was always just two weeks away "promise."

Then he made up this whole story about Fiji being hard to contact (its not, it has phones and internet) and a huge conspiracy about illegally harvested rock over the annual quota freezing everything.

Then in November he stopped answering his phone. Stopped answering his email. Stopped updating his website.

Hopefully you have better luck with the Florida (I ordered Fiji), I still don't have my money back :(

Was there any in stock when you ordered? If not maybe he did not have any at the time to give you.... I tell you want if I were you I would emailing his:bad-words: everyday til he sends me my product and money. Sound like he can be inconsitant with his product. Well he just recieved an order from the wrong person I have a few close family members that work for the better business buero so if he pulls the junk with me i'll be after him....

His merchandise is supposedly quality if you can get it. However, no matter how good your stuff is dodging your customers phone calls/emails for three months isn't the sign of a class act. I wonder if he imagines I just sat around with an empty tank for five months twiddling my thumbs waiting on him, thats the only excuse he could have for not refunding me (I left at least a half dozen voicemails telling him to cancel my order).

Support your LFS...

Was there any in stock when you ordered?

He had it listed as being delivered in three weeks "GET YOUR RESERVE ORDER IN NOW!"

I did call him/email him every day for a few months, never once a pick up or reply. I call ever now and again these days, but to be honest my credit card company will be my next call.

Support your LFS...

My LFS doesn't carry BR in stock, they order it. I love my LFS, but their sole market utility is to have what I want right now, if they have to order it (and mark it up) for me then they have by definition proved themselves market backwaters.

But as it is with my money tied up with Marc and no rock, I ended up buying all LR piece by piece over the last five months. The last three pieces are curing in my QT right now.

I wouldnt worry just yet. Ive heard a good amount of peole have at least gotten the florida rock OK.

Back
Top Bottom