Post Power Outage Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayhawker518

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so the whole town and neighboring towns in NY were without power yesterday. It was about a 6-8 hour outage.

So far it seems all of my fish are ok. I checked on them constantly since I couldnt sleep last night. Everything is back up and running fine today.

Is there any post power outage measures I should do. I was going to do a big PWC, maybe 10-15 gallons of my 30 gallon. I think that might make them a bit happier. Anything else?

Sounds like you'll be OK.

Wow, 6-8 hrs and no casualties??? PWCs are always good, but check the readings first. If they're not used to 50% PWCs as a matter of course, I wouldn't do it now unless something is really off with the readings.

Might want to look into generator too - or battery (extended) backup for the powerheads to keep oxygen levels up. Got lucky this time IMO.

It is not uncommon for me to have power outages such as that on a monthly basis. I have not yet lost fish due to them. In the summer, make sure you have frozen water bottles in the freezer. Seeing as your tank is small, you might want to do the 16 oz size. Putting one in the tank will keep it from overheating. Of course, you may need to change them out every few hours. I dont worry about starting my generator until power has been gone for 10 hours or so.
If you have a heavy fishload, you might want to take a butter tub size container and scoop tank water then pour it back in to recirculate and add some oxygen to the water every couple of hours.

Thanks Guys, Im glad I had no casualities as well. I did the frozen water bottle trick because it looked like it was getting warm and that helped keep things down.

Its about time for a decent water change anyways. So ill check the params and see whats going on. Thanks for the advice.

Ok everything seemed ok and I did the normal water change.

I have another questions, my feather duster shed its crown. I feel like this happened because of the outage and stress maybe, this is totally normal from what I understand correct? How long does it take to grow back? It looks odd without it.

Shedding the crown is stress related. I would give it alot of time but understand that not all recover from an event like this. Watch for severe decay. If that happens, remove the worm from the tank.

Back
Top Bottom