Powder Brown Tang - Very Thin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

begginersluck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently ordered a powder brown. I actually tried cancelling this order after a few people warned me off them. Being ich magnets and hard to feed etc. I did listen to them but unfortunately it was too late and my fish was in a bag. The next day it arrived and what a beautiful thing! I am now finding myself determined to get this thing to eat.

I have kept tangs in the past including the Regal tang (Blue hippo) and have no problems. All my fish feed great and are all in heallthy shape. The tempatation of a Powder got the better of me.

Anyway my powder brown is not feeding. He is also very skinny. Its LL is very visable. I have tried: Frozen Brine shrimp, Frozen Mysis Shrimp, Dried Red Seaweed, Dried Green Seaweed, Marine Flake, Frozen Marine Cuisine and Algae Blocks.

Not sure what else to try here!

begginersluck said:
I recently ordered a powder brown. I actually tried cancelling this order after a few people warned me off them. Being ich magnets and hard to feed etc. I did listen to them but unfortunately it was too late and my fish was in a bag. The next day it arrived and what a beautiful thing! I am now finding myself determined to get this thing to eat.

I have kept tangs in the past including the Regal tang (Blue hippo) and have no problems. All my fish feed great and are all in heallthy shape. The tempatation of a Powder got the better of me.

Anyway my powder brown is not feeding. He is also very skinny. Its LL is very visable. I have tried: Frozen Brine shrimp, Frozen Mysis Shrimp, Dried Red Seaweed, Dried Green Seaweed, Marine Flake, Frozen Marine Cuisine and Algae Blocks.

Powder Browns are herbivores. Occasionally feed some frozen brine shrimp, freeze dried worms, etc. but they like algae. Try some Nori and you can also get spirulina flakes. Tangs graze all day. Do clip a sheet onto the side of your glass? Also, they are finicky when they are stressed. They like hiding places so make sure you have some caves etc. in your live rock so it feels safe. I had one long ago and it took a little time to get him to eat normally. I also use to get fresh algae seaweeds, etc. from the LFS for it.

begginersluck said:

How long have you had him?

begginersluck said:
Had him for 5 or 6 days!

Has he eaten yet? I'm not sure if he is with other fish but you may need to QT him alone for a few days to get him to relax. Honestly, I would anyway just because tangs are so sensitive. Turn the lights on very very low and see if you can put a clip with a sheet of seaweed in or clip some live seaweed/algae on the side closer to some rock so he doesn't feel so threatened in the middle.

nikki_kaiser said:
Has he eaten yet? I'm not sure if he is with other fish but you may need to QT him alone for a few days to get him to relax. Honestly, I would anyway just because tangs are so sensitive. Turn the lights on very very low and see if you can put a clip with a sheet of seaweed in or clip some live seaweed/algae on the side closer to some rock so he doesn't feel so threatened in the middle.

Actually, offer him a few varieties of macro algae since they eat that in the wild. When they acclimate its really tough.

He has eaten a small amount. He appears to be looking around on the sand bed for food. I have given him a lot of different types of food including the ones you mentioned. I made a cocktail of food which i crushed up with garlic and let in sit there for half an hour so all the food absorbed the flavour. That seemed to get him exited but he is still not eating normally. Over the past 2 days he has gone from eating nothing to eating a small amount so looking hopeful.

I have a QT but its tiny. Its only about 40 litres and i only set it up for my Sebae Anemone to get better in. I'm pretty sure putting the powder brown in there would freak him out due to the lack of swimming space!

begginersluck said:
He has eaten a small amount. He appears to be looking around on the sand bed for food. I have given him a lot of different types of food including the ones you mentioned. I made a cocktail of food which i crushed up with garlic and let in sit there for half an hour so all the food absorbed the flavour. That seemed to get him exited but he is still not eating normally. Over the past 2 days he has gone from eating nothing to eating a small amount so looking hopeful.

I have a QT but its tiny. Its only about 40 litres and i only set it up for my Sebae Anemone to get better in. I'm pretty sure putting the powder brown in there would freak him out due to the lack of swimming space!

If he is eating some then don't QT him. What your seeing is stress from acclimation. Also, they do graze all day which is why most LFS will tell people that its better to have a well established tank. If you have the time and patience, try feeding him 2-3 times a day. If you can spot feed it would be better. Get a medium sized syringe (no needle) and some small air tubing to suck small pieces of garlic soaked food in. That way you can put it right in front of him. What else do you have in the tank and how big is your tank again?

Back
Top Bottom