Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Power filter any good??

Have a fluval 70gal power filter.. I have a 30 gal saltwater tank.. Will this powerfilter do? Or do I need a protein skimmer and a differ filter?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3280528169.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	210845

Old 12-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

For fish only with live rock (at least 30 lbs.), you could use it WITH a protein skimmer. If you're looking to go inexpensive and have both HOB filter and skimmer, you could look at Skilter Filters. I used them years ago for a basic setup. Not the optimum way to go long term or with corals and expensive fish, but for a beginner setup, it would work fine.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgoose2222 View Post
For fish only with live rock (at least 30 lbs.), you could use it WITH a protein skimmer. If you're looking to go inexpensive and have both HOB filter and skimmer, you could look at Skilter Filters. I used them years ago for a basic setup. Not the optimum way to go long term or with corals and expensive fish, but for a beginner setup, it would work fine.
Oh ok so I should get a protein skimmer then?.. What's the right way to go?.. Cuz the guy at petco was telling me I'll be fine with this fluval filter.. But I see everyone else with like sumps and etc.. I'm new to this hobby..
Old 12-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm converting a 33 long QT into a permanent display tank and I'll be using a AC 50 power filter and a slim skim protein skimmer with no sump. There are lots of options for HOB filters and skimmers.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschier View Post
I'm converting a 33 long QT into a permanent display tank and I'll be using a AC 50 power filter and a slim skim protein skimmer with no sump. There are lots of options for HOB filters and skimmers.
So a slim skim protein skimmer will do the job?
Old 12-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

There are several skimmers that will work, what they do is extend your water change frequency (very basically), are they necessary? Not really but they may allow you not to do PWC every few days depending on bio load.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
There are several skimmers that will work, what they do is extend your water change frequency (very basically), are they necessary? Not really but they may allow you not to do PWC every few days depending on bio load.
Oh ok.. So with the fluval ac 70 power filter will do the job then? And ofcourse with pwc here and there..
Old 12-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sure, now many people replace the media in the filter with things like filter floss, carbon, chemi-pure, purigen etc. After watching your parameters you'll get an idea of what issues you may have. Did you mention any power heads?
Old 12-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Sure, now many people replace the media in the filter with things like filter floss, carbon, chemi-pure, purigen etc. After watching your parameters you'll get an idea of what issues you may have. Did you mention any power heads?
Ok cool.. I heard that rinsing the media will be fine because if u replace them you'll remove bacteria.. Is this true?.. Well so far what's bugging me is the ph.. It's at 7.8.. .. I have a koralia 425 but will be getting a 800..
Old 12-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

You are using Live sand as well as the live rock, correct?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com