Power filter any good??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ethan7474

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have a fluval 70gal power filter.. I have a 30 gal saltwater tank.. Will this powerfilter do? Or do I need a protein skimmer and a differ filter?

image-3280528169.jpg

For fish only with live rock (at least 30 lbs.), you could use it WITH a protein skimmer. If you're looking to go inexpensive and have both HOB filter and skimmer, you could look at Skilter Filters. I used them years ago for a basic setup. Not the optimum way to go long term or with corals and expensive fish, but for a beginner setup, it would work fine.

For fish only with live rock (at least 30 lbs.), you could use it WITH a protein skimmer. If you're looking to go inexpensive and have both HOB filter and skimmer, you could look at Skilter Filters. I used them years ago for a basic setup. Not the optimum way to go long term or with corals and expensive fish, but for a beginner setup, it would work fine.

Oh ok so I should get a protein skimmer then?.. What's the right way to go?.. Cuz the guy at petco was telling me I'll be fine with this fluval filter.. But I see everyone else with like sumps and etc.. I'm new to this hobby..

I'm converting a 33 long QT into a permanent display tank and I'll be using a AC 50 power filter and a slim skim protein skimmer with no sump. There are lots of options for HOB filters and skimmers.

I'm converting a 33 long QT into a permanent display tank and I'll be using a AC 50 power filter and a slim skim protein skimmer with no sump. There are lots of options for HOB filters and skimmers.

So a slim skim protein skimmer will do the job?

There are several skimmers that will work, what they do is extend your water change frequency (very basically), are they necessary? Not really but they may allow you not to do PWC every few days depending on bio load.

There are several skimmers that will work, what they do is extend your water change frequency (very basically), are they necessary? Not really but they may allow you not to do PWC every few days depending on bio load.

Oh ok.. So with the fluval ac 70 power filter will do the job then? And ofcourse with pwc here and there..

Sure, now many people replace the media in the filter with things like filter floss, carbon, chemi-pure, purigen etc. After watching your parameters you'll get an idea of what issues you may have. Did you mention any power heads?

Sure, now many people replace the media in the filter with things like filter floss, carbon, chemi-pure, purigen etc. After watching your parameters you'll get an idea of what issues you may have. Did you mention any power heads?

Ok cool.. I heard that rinsing the media will be fine because if u replace them you'll remove bacteria.. Is this true?.. Well so far what's bugging me is the ph.. It's at 7.8.. .. I have a koralia 425 but will be getting a 800..

One other thing to look at is an RODI water filter. If you can't buy one right now, try to get the best filtered water you can. It'll save you a lot of headaches in future with algae and diatoms.

One other thing to look at is an RODI water filter. If you can't buy one right now, try to get the best filtered water you can. It'll save you a lot of headaches in future with algae and diatoms.

Yea I've been getting my water from the water machines

Back
Top Bottom