Power Head for 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pimp My Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently placed a marineland maxi jet 400 in my 10 gallon aquarium and noticed my goby is having some trouble swimming in it. Is this too much filtration? It is the only powerhead in there.

Hi fishkeeper81 , do you have any filtration such as a sump or canister filter? The recommended water flow rate is 10x water volume 20x + in a reef system the maxijet puts out about 110gph so its within that range i suggest you point the power head towards the front on the tank to deflect the water flow that should fix your problem

I recently placed a marineland maxi jet 400 in my 10 gallon aquarium and noticed my goby is having some trouble swimming in it. Is this too much filtration? It is the only powerhead in there.
In my 10g nano i use the marine land 400 too, i use it in pump mode i believe with 110gph and also a aquaclear 20 hob filter to help circulate the water too.

Yeah the aquaclear 20 hob filter puts out and extra 100 gph putting your tanks flow rate at about 210 gph which is too much for a fish only system this rate would be ok for a reef set up not a fish only

Yeah the aquaclear 20 hob filter puts out and extra 100 gph putting your tanks flow rate at about 210 gph which is too much for a fish only system this rate would be ok for a reef set up not a fish only

Why is it not ok for a fowlr? Honestly the more flow the better. I mean you don't want a crazy ton but IMO fowlr should be at least 20 times turnover per hour. This will prevent dead spots and help control nuisance algae. I used a koralia 240 and aqua clear 30 on my 10 gallon when I had it setup and it was perfect.

i think 20x is perfect, my fish dont seem to mind at all and rather enjoy it? they arent being beat up or anything by it. All it does is help get water at the BB and keep protein from building up on the surface. I also just started corals and they are all great too.

After my goby was literally flying around like a gymnist, I changed it to the Powerhead mode and added a marineland 600 in powerhead mode. My fish seems to like this alot more.

Back
Top Bottom