Power Head Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryn_C_mu

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I got a powerhead today just a basic brand nothing huge it was meant for a 25-40 gallon tank mine is a 37 gallon my issue so to speak is it pupping really water to fast? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392000710.756289.jpg

That's seems like a lot but it's the air bubbles that is making it look like a lot. But once you get the air bubbles under control it will look normal

Take that piece of airline tubing off of the outtake. There should be a small plug to put back into the hole. You don't want that tubing on there since you don't want bubbles.

Is this a salt water tank? I take it as such from to fake corals if this is true I would recommend getting ride of that power head because that is ment for a different filtration system but a couple hydro power heads to move the water they are cheap if you go online and grab them drfoater and smith .com has a bundle with 2-3 hydro power heads and a wave controller for like 160 bucks

Is this a salt water tank? I take it as such from to fake corals if this is true I would recommend getting ride of that power head because that is ment for a different filtration system but a couple hydro power heads to move the water they are cheap if you go online and grab them drfoater and smith .com has a bundle with 2-3 hydro power heads and a wave controller for like 160 bucks

Or the koralia nano 425's are on sale right now for 21.99 a piece

Yes, it doesn't really look like a power head - more of a pump? Never seen something like this in a salt tank before...

Yes, it doesn't really look like a power head - more of a pump? Never seen something like this in a salt tank before...

That is a power head. What yall are referring to for saltwater or really anything is a circulation pump

Ah - is this a saltwater/freshwater terminology difference thing? I would say a powerhead is this

Attachments

• image-3814760358.jpg
    image-3814760358.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 106
It's a power head for a under gravel filtration systems

On the box it said "power head for marine or freshwater tanks I checked the reviews of what said and that they loved it in their saltwater tanks

Ah, well that's confusing for the OP - what you really need is a circulation pump then. (Apologies, I have only ever done saltwater so not familiar with other types of filters/pumps/powerheads!) What kind of filtration so you have on it? Running a sump?

Ah, well that's confusing for the OP - what you really need is a circulation pump then. (Apologies, I have only ever done saltwater so not familiar with other types of filters/pumps/powerheads!) What kind of filtration so you have on it? Running a sump?

You can call it all the same. My advice was just a tip. I call them all powerheads aswell

They're all called powerheads lol, they're just different styles.

What the OP has will work fine once he disconnects the air inlet.

Which I have taken out the air line thingy and no bubbles and is working just fine it is creating a current and aerating the water which is what I wanted

I believe it was koralia that came up with the wide mouth power head. Before that all power heads where like that one. The one you have shots a stream of water like from a hose. The koralia pushes water more like a window fan, a more gentle wider flow. This makes better for a reef system.

Back
Top Bottom