Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2004, 12:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

power head reccomendation needed

I wanna get a power head to add some circulation to my 72g FOWLR tank. I currently have a Fluval 404 filter which does 340 gph.

Can anyone reccomend a powerhead to get to add some circulation to my water, i'm not sure how many gph i would need.

Old 02-16-2004, 12:54 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If the Fluval is the only water movement in your tank then a good boost is needed. I really LOVE the maxijet powerheads and for your setup I would suggest multiple maxijet 1200's. Each maxijet is rated at 295GPH so a pair would give you around 600GPH additional flow.

Hagen powerheads are also fairly well made. On a 75gal tank I have a pair of their 802 poweheads in addition to a mag 7.5 return pump.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks, i was lookin at the maxijet 1200's,
600gph plus the fluval is not too much water movement though?
is there such a thing as too much water movement.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:21 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
600gph plus the fluval is not too much water movement though?
Nope. Infact it will put you close to the 'average' suggested amount. Most books and hobbists will suggest a 10 X flow rate at a minimum.

Quote:
is there such a thing as too much water movement.
Sure. I supose a 5 flow rate would be a bit excessive. But there is a big difference between a jet stream of water and random currents. We are striving to reproduce the natural fast moving currents of the ocean reef. This is why its good to bounce the PH off of the front glass or position the powerheads toward eachother so they create a tublent random water current where the two streams meet.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:55 PM   #5

2-4 maxi jet 1200's will do you nicely!
Old 02-16-2004, 02:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you got a d e e p pocket, a single Tunze Stream would do nicely. Not worth it to me, but wanted to give extra options to consider.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:28 PM   #7

The tunzes are a little to powerful for the 4 ft tanks in my opinion. They are very nice though.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I have two Hagen 802's and 3 Maxi-Jets (on a wavemaker strip) in my 125. I think I now have too much flow for low flow loving shrooms. At least I can't find a spot on the bottom where it can expand fully again.

With the little bit of LR in your tank, 2 MaxiJet 1200's would give you some good flow.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power head

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com