Power heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick93

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I'm setting up a new tank and it's gonna be a fowlr and it's a 65 gallon it's only 3 feet in length and I got a sump on it so the question is what should I do with power heads 1 or 2 and what size 750 or 1050 hope to hear from you guys

I agree on the koralia 750's, they should be good enough. You can also consider the 1050's but that's up to you. :)

2 1050 make it sound like there would be tons of water movement lol what you guys think would be good for a 80 gallon 4 footer i got the fx5 running on it and one 750 in there at the moment but that's only cause it's still cycling any ideas about a good power head set up for that( it's a reef tank) and could someone explain the whole wave maker thing ? Thanks :D lol

i wouldn't use a canister filter on a reef tank. you are removing that after the cycle?
what corals do you intend to keep in the reef tank?

I want to eventually get it running on a sump also y is it bad to run a reef on a fx5? Also what if I had the fx5 and made a refugum (sorry but I just can't think of the right spelling atm) for it

mr_X said:
well, it's just that it will be a source of nitrates if you don't clean it out regularly (like weekly).

I second that. I personally have no experience with them but after research there is just way to much maintenance in keeping them. A well designed sump with macro algae dsb and protein skimmer is way better, really the only maintenance is to clean the protein skimmer and trim the macro algae.

I run a 55g with a canister and yep, there is more maintaining to do with it. But it can and does work. Just gotta be on the filter alot is all. :)

I happen to like carbon so I run that and change it every 2 weeks or so. The rest of the media is bio media and filter floss. I change out the filter floss as well. :)

The big thing is when you open up the canister there will be ALOT of waste in the water in there. THAT'S what I think is the nitrate producing gunk and gets drained out each time. I also rinse the empty canister as well. I'm using a fluval 305 by the way.

I'll clean it frequently then and do u times the filter pads every time as well?

I change the filter floss each time but the sponges stay in. :) If they are gunked up then you can rinse them in some tank water to get the debris out. But they never get changed. they will last forever LOL

Really depend on what you going to keep inside the tank, some fish and inverts like strong current, but others like moderat and low, overwhelming would make them stressed.

Back
Top Bottom