Power outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whitegurl84

Aquarium Advice Regular
We had a bad storm go through today and the power has been out for about 8 hours. I went and got some battery power air pumps but how long can the fish go with just the air pumps running? because they are saying the Power may not be back on till Wednesday.

The fish should be fine with just get airpump till Wed .. You can even stir the surface for more oxygen exchange. The bigger concern will be keeping your BB alive ... It'll be important to keep your filter media wet with tank water and keeping your water temp stable.

Are you going through summer or winter? (members in the southern hemisphere)

It's the beginning of summer but the temp has been pretty high. Today it's supposed to be about 95, but I keep my tank temp at about 83 so they should be ok as far as that if not I will just have to put ice in there.

I had a similar situation about a month ago. Unfortunately I was also out of town. Depending on what type of fish you have, they should be fine. I didn't do anything other than stir the surface to agitate the water a bit the day I got home. By getting an air pump, your one step ahead of where I was. My tanks temps fluctuated from 81 during the day to as low as 72 at night and I didn't have any deaths. If you have any coral, they are going to hate not having light for that long, though. Good luck, and I hope your final outcome is as successful as mine was.

Back
Top Bottom