powerhead advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ivtec247

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I am starting off a 46-gal all-glass bow front tank, and wanted to know what recommendations for circulation people had. Its starting off FOWLR (40lbs rock), but I might venture into getting some soft coral. I dont think I'll be getting the hard stuff needing the high flow currents, etc.

Any feedback on what Maxijets should I get, how many of them, where should I position them, etc?

TIA

if it helps, here is my tank. I'll be using a Prizm deluxe for protein skimming. I have an Aquaclear 200, but from what I've been told, I'm thinking about not using it at all (worried about nitrate overload?)

You can use the aquaclear you just haave to be sure and clean it frequently. I like to run mechanical filtration on my tank; I think my tank looks better with it. Some people do not like it. You will have to experiment and see what happens. That is the fun part of the hobby! I would definately run maxi jets if you are using powerheads. These are by far the best on the market and hold up under the abuse of a wavemaker! (2) 1200's or (2) 900's would do a good job on your tank.

I agree with Darin...two MJ 1200's or 900's would do you well. You might look into a Natural Wave powerstrip later. That would give you some good wave action without breaking the bank. It would also allow you to add a third powerhead if you saw the need for it.

Back
Top Bottom