Powerhead gone crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm new to this salt water aquariums I just bought a powerless since I'm doing a filter less tank and its making my tank all cloudy I have the power head at the bottom of the tank facing up and to the side an it's still some how making it cloudy it's making me really mad plus I have foam that won't go away

I'm new to this salt water aquariums I just bought a powerless since I'm doing a filter less tank and its making my tank all cloudy I have the power head at the bottom of the tank facing up and to the side an it's still some how making it cloudy it's making me really mad plus I have foam that won't go away

what kind of substrate? what size tank and what powerhead? the foam happened on my nano and went away with water changes

It's live sand with live rock and its a 40g tank an the power head is a Aquatop Circulating Pump

what size powerhead did you get? It will tell you the size or (gph) on the box. These powerheads are rated at gallons per hour (gph) and with your 40 gallon tank, a 500-700 gallon per hour (gph) powerhead is recommended and I would think 700 gph would be too much....if your powerhead is within gph range you just need to move it up from the sandbed and point it toward the surface or middle of the tank...If you still have problems you might want to go to a smaller powerhead.

Yeah, putting it on the sandbed is your problem, circulation pumps should be high enough to not blow sand around, mine are all near the top with the flow pointing various directions.

in a 40g you want about 400gph so you would want at least another one of those powerheads. as for placement move it around until it is not disturbing the sand bed

I do not need another power head the one I have is to strong for my tank it's at the top of my tank now directly in the middle of the tank and its pushing sand around still and it's just below the water line it's a 40g tall which makes it not as wide as others the power head defiantly moves the water around in gonna try it again once the sand it blew around settles

so you have the power head on the back of the tank blowing to the front?? try it on one side

Do you have all your rock in there now? How much did you go for? You just need to find the sweet spot with that powerhead, it may take some time and adjustments but you will get there. Believe us, it is definitely not too strong for your tank, in fact it's not strong enough...

I agree, it's most likely not enough in the end. BUT for now try to angle it upwards and towards the front of the tank. It will splash the glass and hopefully wont disturb the sand. Especially since its a tall tank it really shouldnt cause much sandstorm action. I had a 750gph in my 29g biocube and even with that it didn't blwo any sand once I found the sweet spot. It's just a matter of trial and error. Don't get disccouraged. :)

Ok I think I found the spot it's in the corner facing the front middle of the tank and the reason I don't wanna do a filter is cuz if any sand gets moved around for any reason it gets in my filter and I've gone through about 4 40$ filters from sand with saltwater and plus all the filters I get always kick sand up I've tried three different kinds

Good news, did you manage to get all the rock you wanted in? For a natural filter set up to work properly you need plenty of rock - at least 1 pound per gallon but 2 is better ;)

Not all of it I'm working on it I have 7 of 40 pounds in so far lol I'm really excited about this lol

I noticed once I got it set up ima need another one but it creates an insane current

Back
Top Bottom