powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kgriffith

Aquarium Advice Regular
Question guys..

I have 90 gallong tank and I am wondering if I have too much flow from my powerheads.

I have a koralia 4 and two 300gph power heads giving me a total of 1800 gph in the tank. The koralia is blowing the same direction as the return from the pump at the top of the tank and the other two are spaced evenly on the back wall.

Unsure if it is too much.

Also does anyone have a link for a guide on switch from cc to live sand?

The way I determine if I have too much flow, is if the fish are pinned up against the tank's sides or can't swim. Now if you have corals, that could be a different story as some like more flow and others like less.
Switching from CC to sand. I have done this. I like to be cautious and when I did it, I only removed 1/4 at a time, per week. I feel this gave the beneficial bacteria and sand critters time to migrate to the new substrate. Also, you will want to have plenty of PWC available in case you get a swing in your parameters.
Note: don't use a glass cup or container to scoop up the CC (I found out the hard way and there is still a small pieve of glass under my sand somewhere)....

The way I determine if I have too much flow, is if the fish are pinned up against the tank's sides or can't swim.

Am I to assume that is a witty way to say the more flow the better? ;)

Is there any formula, like the 10-20x your tank size turn over for your pump?

I guess a good idea would be 10x for FOWLR (or any number above that, based on my other response) and 20x for reef (depending on the requirements of your corals).

No corals in my tank yet, am am still setting it up, but yes corals are on my short list for eventual aquisiition.

i have about 8400 gph in my 195(before head loss). realistically, i probably have about 6000 or so, and i feel that i could use a bit more.

I have about 3000 right now but I'm adding 1 or 2 modded MJ1200 this weekend. That will put me in 4700 - 5900 gph range.

It all depends on the layout of of your tank, the aquascape, the type, number and size of your sps corals. If your sand is not constantly blowing onto your corals and rocks and your fish aren't pinned to the glass, it's not too much flow ;)

Back
Top Bottom