Powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evenings

Aquarium Advice Activist
im shopping around for one for my 30gal FOWLR. which ones are the best and where should i place them in the tank?

Shoot for 10 X tank size for total flow. so 300 gph would be good. I got maxi jets and like them. As for placement, in the corners pointing towards the front center and pointing towards the surface for surface agitation. :wink:

I would try and get two smaller ones, maybe two Maxi-Jet 900's or 600's. Point them at each other on opposite sides of the tank.

(2) maxi 900's would be to much in a 30. In my 26 bow i run (2) maxi 600's and this gives me more than enough flow! I have them in the back corners pointing towards the front middle. They are on a wave maker as well

I have a 37g (tall), two MaxiJet 900s, as well a PowerSweep 212 towards the top to provide some surface agitation. I've tried different configurations, don't honestly know what the "best" is, beyond just trying to make sure you have good flow everywhere and no "dead spots". Currently one of my 900s is pointed towards the front/left of the tank (can't point to center as that would hit my lr direclty), so the flow ricochets off of the front glass back onto the lr. Other 900 is shooting straight across the tank in the rear. The PowerSweep 212 is towards the top of the tank.

When/if you turkey blast off your lr occasionally to get debris off you can watch the debris to see how your water flow is working (or is not), but I don't know always how to tell how flow is between some of the lr.

I don't use a wave master as some suggest yet but may switch, if so I'll probably change my ph configuration --yet again!

I use two Penguin 550's in my 30g and they perform well. I like the hanging fixtures better on the Maxi-jets though as the hang over the rim of the tank, while the Penguins clasp on to the rim. The clasp never stays tight due to the design though and the powerheads sag.

I have two aquaclears. The do alright, although I am confused as to how strong to set them. My clown seems to have a hard time if the PHs are on full blast.

Right now I have them on the minimum setting, but I don't think I have enough flow, even with my Fluval.

I had two maxi 1200's in my 65 now i have one. I cut the tube off of it right by the impellar and it is awesome. Now when the powerhead turns on it shoots water to the right. After it turns off and back on it shoots it to the left. Very cool if you have a wavemaker.

I have 2 maxijet 600's in my 46g, placed in the upper left and right corners blowing into an X formation. They are nice and quiet. Maybe a bit underpowered for my 46 but should be fine in your 30g.

Stephen

quarryshark said:
Any opinions on Penguin powerheads?

In my opinion they work fine but I don't like the attachment parts. My LFS recommended it as the best for my 55 gal at 295 GPH...now I have that and a Maxi-jet 900. The Maxi-jets have the best parts for hanging or sticking to the glass. I wish I would've known before. Penguin also looks a bit bulkier IMO.

Back
Top Bottom