powerheads & protein skimmer ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

momzacmarvin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good day,

I have only been using an Emperor filter on my tank for water movement only. I was told to take out the cartridges as that could be making my nitrates higher. It is a 55G tank and i have approx. 75#'s of live rock. i wish thinking on getting 2 powerheads but not sure which size or models to purchase (best price is better choice for me).

Also thinking to get protein skimmer as i am not using one. That might help to lower the nitrates. Any idea on decent make for this too ? So many choices and i am not too sure of which to choose.

I've had this tank up and running for about 1 year... it is stocked with same fish i purchased as when i started up... so not many casualties !

Any help would be great!

For a 55G, I would suggest two maxi jet 1200s. I hear great stuff about Aqua C Remoras or Bak Paks (sp?). Don't skimp on the skimmer!

+++EDIT+++

I think I saw someone selling a relatively new Aqua C in the classifieds.

I like the Aquaclear powerheads. Powerful, compact, and relatively cheap.

As far as skimmer, I just bought the Aqua-C a few months ago, and I really like it. Very efficient, not too loud, not overly expensive. I ordered from marinedepot.com, great experience.

LR and a skimmer is very important for biological filtration. PH`s are a great addition also. I use the excalibur skimmer which works great and is quiet also. You are making an excellent choice as far as getting a skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom