Powerheads:Quantity,Placement,Model

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawfishjunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello again,

65 gallon FOWLER

How many power heads do I need

Where do I place them?

How should I direct Flow?

Please suggest a good , quiet, AFFORDABLE model.

Thanks for All!

2-3 Phs, situated like Roka64 suggested.

I use the Maxijets. The 1200s or 900s, or combination.

As long as your sand isn't stirring up too much, can't have too much flow IMO. Keeps fish healthier too I believe.

How are they anchored?

My only experience with them are as toppers to undergravel filters anchored by the big filter tubes.

Do you just suspend them by their chords mid-way in the tank? They would probably be flailing around like crazy,right?

Are they anchored in the Live-Rock?

Thanks for replies

I use the Maxi Jet 1200, it mounts to the inside of the tank with 3 suction cups. It is also fully submersible so you could adjust it to the height you want inside the tank. I like it best because it is silent, I don't even know it is on. Just be sure to put a sponge filter over the intake to avoid clogging the moving parts.
Hope this helped

I would agree, I have a 55gal with 3 Maxi Jet 1200
2 on one side and 1 on the other. I've got one half way down in the tank and the other 2 about 1/4 the way down.
It seams to work really well.
the one that is half way down is pushing water behind my LR the other 2 are pushing water toward each other and up to the surface.

The one thing I will mention is there on a wave maker power strip, because when they were all on at once it was heating my water up to about 83degrees. Now there on a 2 minute cycle which has help with the heat. However I live in Phoenix which more than likely has something to do with it also.

Back
Top Bottom