PraziPro and Overstocking Tank- enough filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjones61985

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay. So I am new here and I have a couple questions. I have a 55 gallon SW fish only tank- it is overstocked but would a canister filter (8times turnover rate) and a wet/dry (made for a 150 gallon tank) with a protein skimmer and UV sterlizer be enough to keep everything filtered properly. I plan on moving within the next 6 months or so and I will move all the fish into my 200+ gallon tank (currently in storage)- but until then, hopefully this will suffice. What do you think??

Also- another question. I used prazipro 10 days or so ago (did not kill any inverts btw, cool huh) and I was wondering if it would be okay to leave some prazipro in the tank at all times. Like, never remove it completely- add some here and there. Just because, recently I had an angel that got fluke and was unaware it was fluke until it was too late :( I would like to prevent this from happening again- so wondering if keeping it at all times would be okay?

Thanks so much all :)

When you say overstocked. Exactly how overstocked is it. Then it would be easier to answer your question. What are your water parameters currently

I posted all the fish I have when i set this thingy up... hmm. I have about 18 fish... a snowflake eel, 2 horseshoe crabs, sailfin tang, powder blue tang, yellow tang, boxfish, mother blenny, 2 damsels, yellow wrasse, red coris wrasse, small pink and white fish (forgot its name 'fire' something) and a couple other small fish i cant think of at the moment. Nothing i have is big. All seem to be getting along very well. The tangs seem to dance in front of each other every now and then but no aggression. My water parameters were all 0 when i checked 2 days ago...maybe a taddddddd bit of nitrate- but it was real yellow- looked more like 0. i tend to check parameters every 3 days.

I called a pet store and they said they use prazipro in their tanks at all times- just not the full dosage- so I think I am going to do the same. Your thoughts on this?

I think pet stores are going to use it because they are constantly getting in new fish and none of them get quarantined before they dump them in. I could be wrong but if you are going to be keeping inverts i dont know how it will effect them over time. I dont think it is necessary to treat your tank all the time. But i could be wrong on this.

also how long have you had the tank up and running? and how long have you had all the fish in the tank together?

When you say small? How small are they, cuz the tangs get BIG! What kind of boxfish? Might want to get rid of him so the stress of the active fish and overstocked tank won't cause him to nuke it.

Back
Top Bottom