Pre-Mixed salt water or mix salt myself?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freppy16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I buy my water from my local fish store when im doing water changes and i use it for top off water as well. Is it better to buy the premixed saltwater from my local fish store, or should i buy the RO/DI water offered and mix it myself?

You should just buy your own RO/DI filter and make your own saltwater and top off water. Your lfs doesn't care about the quality of the water since it's not going in their tanks so it's usually less than desirable, plus it's just easier overall.

I agree most LFS use low quality salt. If you are a reefer as i am. You want the best salt for your tank. In the long run RO/DI unit and mixing it yourself is the best bet. You don't know how long the water has been sitting at the LFS and you don't know what the water quality is like. Find the salt that suits your needs and do it yourself RO unit, mixing container i.e rubbermaid trash can, heater and powerhead. Mix the water as needed 3 to five hours before you need it. Because some trace element may evaporate if set to long.

I now mix my own...when I first went saltwater I was buying premix saltwater from the LFS. Well, wasn't long before I had hair algea and red slime algea. Tested the water from the LFS and nitrates were 20!!!! Then I switched to distilled water, but that was a pain lugging gallon jugs upstairs. So now I have my own RO/DI unit.....soooo much easier and practical!!

I would also vote to make your own ro/di water and mix your own. It'll cost you $65 for the machine and you can get a 200g box of salt for $47. After that it just costs pennies to make your own and you know the water is good.

My lfs sold me ro/di water with trates and phosphates in it for awhile. :-(

Hi all,
Just hope I could butt in here for just a second to ask: How can the RO/DI unit be hooked up if you live in an apartment? I've been looking at the units but, am totally confused as to how I would install it. Thanks to everyone!!

I am so happy I purchased mine (thanks to Carey's advice). Only thing I would say is for $10 dollars more I got the 150 gal a day model instead of the 100 gal a day. Takes about an hour or so to make 5 gals which is what my PWC consists of. I keep a 5 gal bucket mixed and two that are FW. While I am doing my PWC I have the RO/DI running making the water I need to replace what I use. I am also now using the RO/DI to add water to my two ponds. After building a filter system and tying the two ponds into one system I get a lot more evaporation. Replenishing it with RO/DI water has really help my algae problem in the ponds. The KOI swear by it. LOL

Am I wrong in saying that you should not top off with saltwater? Wont that drive up the salinity?

Am I wrong in saying that you should not top off with saltwater? Wont that drive up the salinity?

All depends in my book. If you test first and it is where you want it to be, I would top off with water that has close to the same salinity. If you use fresh, it will dilute what is in the tank resulting a low SG.

Top off water for a saltwater tank should always be done with freshwater and then test for salinity after top off. That has always been my experience with salt tanks.

Doesnt evaporation leave the salt in the tank? I am getting ready to start a SW tank, that is why I am asking..

Salt content in tank leaves salt in the tank after evaporation so top off with fresh water should not change salinity very much. Making sure you are talking specifically top of and not water change!!

well its all according to the store about the water, my work uses the one of the best salts on the market and we use it in all of our tanks at work from full blown reef to fish only. personally i buy premixed. saves alot of hassle. now about topping off its all according to what your trying to do. raise your salt levels or its just minor evap. now if you need to top off a light id use all ro

Anyone correct me if I am wrong but partial water change should be done with saltwater of the same or pretty near the same salinity and top off from evaporation should be done with fresh water.

That is what I thought TOPOFF is replacing evaporation. Water change you are taking out salt with the water, so you have to replace with saltwater.

I agree that evaporation will leave the salt in the tank. If you have enough evaporation though, you salinity should be higher than you want. For that reason I would use fresh to get it back down. What I am saying though, is if you check it before topping off, and it is where you want it to be, topping off with fresh will lower it below what you want. If however, you top off with water that is close to what you have in the tank the salinity will remain the same.

Makes sense. Sorry to jack the thread. On the original subject, being my first sw, I was going to buy the sw at first and then get my own ro/di system.

Makes sense. Sorry to jack the thread. On the original subject, being my first sw, I was going to buy the sw at first and then get my own ro/di system.

Well, it all kind of goes with the original thread. LOL That is why I like to mix my own. Using premix from the LFS you are stuck with the specific gravity they mixed it at. If you mix your own, you can adjust to your liking/needs.

Back
Top Bottom