Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Pre-Mixed salt water or mix salt myself?

I buy my water from my local fish store when im doing water changes and i use it for top off water as well. Is it better to buy the premixed saltwater from my local fish store, or should i buy the RO/DI water offered and mix it myself?

Old 09-07-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should just buy your own RO/DI filter and make your own saltwater and top off water. Your lfs doesn't care about the quality of the water since it's not going in their tanks so it's usually less than desirable, plus it's just easier overall.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree most LFS use low quality salt. If you are a reefer as i am. You want the best salt for your tank. In the long run RO/DI unit and mixing it yourself is the best bet. You don't know how long the water has been sitting at the LFS and you don't know what the water quality is like. Find the salt that suits your needs and do it yourself RO unit, mixing container i.e rubbermaid trash can, heater and powerhead. Mix the water as needed 3 to five hours before you need it. Because some trace element may evaporate if set to long.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I now mix my own...when I first went saltwater I was buying premix saltwater from the LFS. Well, wasn't long before I had hair algea and red slime algea. Tested the water from the LFS and nitrates were 20!!!! Then I switched to distilled water, but that was a pain lugging gallon jugs upstairs. So now I have my own RO/DI unit.....soooo much easier and practical!!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would also vote to make your own ro/di water and mix your own. It'll cost you $65 for the machine and you can get a 200g box of salt for $47. After that it just costs pennies to make your own and you know the water is good.

My lfs sold me ro/di water with trates and phosphates in it for awhile. :-(
Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi all,
Just hope I could butt in here for just a second to ask: How can the RO/DI unit be hooked up if you live in an apartment? I've been looking at the units but, am totally confused as to how I would install it. Thanks to everyone!!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

They have an attachment that hooks up to your faucet.

Kinda like the python water changing system.

Looks like this one, but this one is for the bathroom sink

1/4" RO tube Quick connector for sink faucet aerator | eBay
Old 09-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

wow! its that easy!! Now I really feel dumb!! Now I can look for a portable unit. Thanks a bunch!!
Old 09-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am so happy I purchased mine (thanks to Carey's advice). Only thing I would say is for $10 dollars more I got the 150 gal a day model instead of the 100 gal a day. Takes about an hour or so to make 5 gals which is what my PWC consists of. I keep a 5 gal bucket mixed and two that are FW. While I am doing my PWC I have the RO/DI running making the water I need to replace what I use. I am also now using the RO/DI to add water to my two ponds. After building a filter system and tying the two ponds into one system I get a lot more evaporation. Replenishing it with RO/DI water has really help my algae problem in the ponds. The KOI swear by it. LOL
Old 09-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
Fish R friends, not food!

Am I wrong in saying that you should not top off with saltwater? Wont that drive up the salinity?

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com