Predator tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pryzz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey,

So I've got a 180 tank which I'm in the progress of setting up. I want to make it a reef but I don't think that's going to be in my budget.

So I'm considering making a predator tank. All I have in mind at the moment is some sort of moray ( dragon moray would be awesome but I've never seen one for sale ) and a lionfish of some sort. Just wondering on what possible tank mates might be? Been through some of my books but just not sure. Thanks in advance.

Black edge moray would work. I have one in a 150... Just make sure he doesn't bite you. It's not fun. It's happened lol. You could get a lion, and more fish after that. You still have room!

Attachments

• image-1975666817.jpg
    image-1975666817.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 122
I saw your post about that. I'd be lying if I said I didn't giggle. He bites me I'll bite him back. I know I've got room, just not sure what else I could have. The mrs wants a blue and yellow tang. And clowns, but she can wait on the clowns till I upgrade my current reef. The books I have I can't really look in them choose a fish and get it. I can only get what my lfs has in stock sorta thing.

With the online options available in this day and age you can pretty much order whichever livestock you want, sometimes with a better guarantee. My LFS around me give no guarantee on SW fish or inverts but many online vendors will offer 14 day live guarantee on many specimens.

crister13 said:
You could get both those tangs. I have mine with a yellow and no aggression at all.

Awesome. I'll need to set up a quarantine.

you should get a tesselated eel for eels. dragon eels are about a grand. i have a black banded cat shark and he is awesome what about a shark

weirdfishkid said:
you should get a tesselated eel for eels. dragon eels are about a grand. i have a black banded cat shark and he is awesome what about a shark

That's probably why I haven't seen one. Only shark I ever saw for sale was a wobblegong shark or whatever they're called. Which need a bigger tank as far as I know. But a shark would be pretty awesome.

No shark can live in a 180g for life except an izu or cloudy catsharks which are coldwater species (60 degrees). Tessalata eels get 6' long, so unless you want an eel the size of your tank, that can literally take your hand off and that will tear fish apart that it can't fit into its mouth, I would shy away lol. They're almost as big as green morays, and sometimes more aggressive. Stick with the black edged. 3' max, no losing limbs. You could keep a coral catshark for awhile until it gets too big though.

Ah okay, cool. I'd rather not get something that can do me in or something that I'll get attached to and then have to rehome. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom