Predator tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckshot41

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok y'all I'm new to this form, but what I have read and learned I like it! Ok this is kinda out of the box! But I live on gulf coast of Florida, and I'm going to turn my 100g saltwater tank in to an awesome Predator tank! I'm a big fishermen and I want to put a Seatrout a Redfish and maybe a Bluefish! All of them will be just the min. Length! I might put some live rock but not much! Do y'all think they will make it? I know basspro has a tank and they live just fine! If three is a crowd I will only go with two fish!!

The Pro-shop also has a giant tank. A Redfish alone would be WAY to big for your tank. They need space to swim and a 100 gallon tank would be no where near the size requirement.

It's just way to big for a 100 gallon tank. I would so NO to the redfish, No to the Bluefish, and no to the Seatrout. Each of them gets way to big for them to live in a 100 gallon tank.

A 100 gallon tank can be an awesome tank, if you get the right fish! Besides, why would you want to add fish that you normally would eat? :p

If that is your intent, than I guess if it's just a holding tank to keep them extra fresh, than so be it, but a 100 gallon is not a good size for them to swim and be displayed in for their whole life.

If you want a tank that houses predictors, I suggest a Russell's Lionfish, Snowflake Eel, Spiny Box Puffer, Singapore Angelfish, and maybe a Cubicus Boxfish. All of which are cool and can add a lot of color to a tank. As far as compatibility goes, you need to check that. I would assume that they could get along, but I wouldn't put all of them fish in the tank, just maybe 4 of them. The Lionfish being the last thing you put into your tank.

Please take your time, and read all the information you can find here and other places.

Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums

That website is a good start, and has some good information on how to get started, and what to get for your tank. When you take your time and research the fish you want to take care of, you can have a great fish tank that will thrive and keep your fish healthy for a LONG time. You already made the first step in asking for help! So keep it up and you will get "hooked" :p

What I don't understand is I had a largemouth Bass in a 55 gallon tank and he did great! In fact I had him for 2 years, I put him back in the lake tho! Only because we were moving away and it was going to be a 7 hour drive! I also had a Oscar in there with him!

What I don't understand is I had a largemouth Bass in a 55 gallon tank and he did great! In fact I had him for 2 years, I put him back in the lake tho! Only because we were moving away and it was going to be a 7 hour drive! I also had a Oscar in there with him!

The fish might look fine, but depending on how big they are, they will get stunted, making it really painfully and their organs will start to shut down

Buckshot

Agreed with Goldfish Loach boy! What happens is, the outside of the fish stops gowning, but their Internal organs keep growing. This goes on until they start to shut down because there is no room for them anymore.

It's a myth that a fish will only grow to the size of the tank. I am sure there really is some fish that holds true too, but aquarium keeping has come along way with many advances in the technology to help keep a fish tank better with healthier fish. Tank requirements is still not perfect, but it has gotten a lot better. It comes from a lot of experience.

What is your fascination with Red fish anyway? :p I catch them all the time down in the Gulf when I visit my Grandmother. Not really a fish that most hobbyist would consider. Same with the Blue Fish and the Sea Trout. LOL

If cost is what is keeping you from doing the tank with LFS (Local Fish Store) fish, consider the fact that there is a lot of freshwater and some saltwater fish that can survive in 100 gallon tank easily that don't cost a lot. I only ask if cost is an issue because you are catching your fish. Not to be rude.

Also you might want to check local laws, it could be illegal to keep game fish in a fish tank.

Good note on the illegal thing
Not just that, but some wild caught fish will probably die rather than one that has been in captivity for some time
Also, they might carry parasites

Back
Top Bottom