Predator Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How much smaller are the other fish than the angler? I've seen videos of them eating lionfish

The only other fish I have in that tank is the clown grouper.. Which is about 2-3".. There's also 3 eels, the smallest being 1'6"..

Anglerfish or frogfish will attempt to eat fish larger than themselves so there is always a risk.

The angler is certainly big enough to eat the clown, but hasn't yet.. In fact all the eels are also large enough to eat the grouper, but none have tried. I honestly believe that they know the grouper is poisonous.. But obviously I could be wrong and if might be eaten one day. I've been having some trouble getting the angler to eat. I've tried frozen squid and shrimp, live ghost shrimp and damsels, but it hasn't eaten anything. I think one of the reasons is because it gets out competed for damsels by the eels and grouper. I'm currently looking at a 75 gallon tank on CL specifically for this angler. I will be meeting the guy tomorrow to check if out.

Anglers are notorious for only eating live, however if they are being out competed could be an issues as they eat by waiting for the food to come to them and then engulfing it. I have also heard they are hard in a non species only as they will be picked on by pretty much everything they don't eat so get stressed ... Not sure but may be worth keeping an eye open for it

Yeah, I picked up the tank off of CL and am in the process of setting it up.. I think this is the best route to go to get it to start to eat..

A couple of updates, returned the snapper and panther grouper to my LFS. Moved the angler to the 29G for a species only tank, as he hasn't been eating in my larger tank. Ended up dying in the 29, not sure as to why. Was eating fine two days prior. Added an FX6 filter on my 125, as well as putting in my sump. Current filtration on the tank, fx6 filter, 2x hob protein skimmer (one rated for 125 g, one rated for up to 75g), emperor hob filter, 40g breeder sump (still researching skimmers for it)..

Stock list for my 125:

Fish
White mouth moray 2' long
Yellow-headed moray 2' long
Undulated moray 1'8" long
Clown Grouper 6" long
Humu trigger (rectangle) 7" long

Inverts
Reef Lobster
Anemone Hermit Crab
Various zebra hermit crabs

Stock List for 29g:
Nothing at the moment

Latest addition today:

Golden Puffer

Eating frozen squid/silversides at my LFS..

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402451618.058712.jpg

Very cool puffer! These are the tanks that make me particularly want to set up a huge, FO tank haha.

Not many groupers fit into a 3g pico :p

All I got too say is your either have a really good job or a rich daddy for all the $$$ you seem to throw away. I mean the eels alone are probably pushing at least $500+ at a very low estimate, and the other critters you've gotten aren't cheap.
I'm surprised the eels don't go after the lobster or the crabs considering crustaceans are one of morays favorite dishes.

Actually the eels are cheap out here, since they are all locally caught.. Most I spent was $40 for the zebra.. The others were between $20-$30.. Panther and snapper was $24.. Angler was $20.. reef lobster and anemone crab, both under $20.. Humu was $12 off of craigslist.. Puffer was the most expensive at $150.. Pretty much everything in my tank was locally caught by the LFS, with the exception of the panther and snapper..

Actually the eels are cheap out here, since they are all locally caught.. Most I spent was $40 for the zebra.. The others were between $20-$30.. Panther and snapper was $24.. Angler was $20.. reef lobster and anemone crab, both under $20.. Humu was $12 off of craigslist.. Puffer was the most expensive at $150.. Pretty much everything in my tank was locally caught by the LFS, with the exception of the panther and snapper..

:eek:
OK, I'm jealous now. Those eels would cost me anywhere from about $20 for a snowflake up to well over $100 for some of the others.

Puffers aren't supposed to eat fish. They can get fatty liver disease. Stick to shrimp, squid, clam, etc. either way, nice looking puffer.

Yeah, it's so hit or miss with the fish prices here.. Some are super cheap like the eels.. Yellow tangs are between 10-16 depending on the size.. My LFS often has sales on them for $8 a piece.. The catch is we can't get a lot of things.. No sharks, rays, or lionfishes.. No inverts can be imported or corals..

It is a 125.. When I bought it on CL, it was listed as a 180.. I'm working on my plywood tank as we speak.. I have the frame built, I'm currently pricing glass at different places trying to find the best deal.. The frame is 9x4x2.5.. I'll post pictures when I get home..

Back
Top Bottom