Predator Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boym8087

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. First post here. I have a 180 gallon tank that I want to do a predator tank with. It's been up for two months with about 100 lbs of live rock.. I have two hob protein skimmers and a hob power filter. I currently have a 1'6" white mouth morey eel. I'm looking to add one type of puffer and one type or trigger. Looking at a porcupine for the puffer. My choices for the trigger would be either a clown or humu humu. Which one would you guys suggest?

Thanks

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397287743.402964.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397287756.670055.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397287764.380368.jpg

Here's a couple pictures..
My whole tank, white mouth moray eel, and my yellow head moray eel chilling with my reef lobster..

Update time:
Aside from my white mouth and snowflake, I've added an undulated moray and a yellow headed moray.. I tried a blue throat trigger, but it was eaten within two days..

I'm thinking I'm gonna need a larger fish so it doesn't get eaten.. Thinking maybe a large angel or grouper of some sort..

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397288177.777131.jpg

Right when I posted the last post, my undulated decided to pop his head out..

You may need I buy mature fish with all those eels! A large angel and a porc would be cool. So you're not running a sump? Water changes in that tank must be huge! I would still try a trigger but see if you can buy a large one ;) I have similar dreams for my next upgrade, a predator tank...

I'm waiting on the finances to be able to build a sump. I might pick up a wet/dry from CL, take out all the media and stick a better skimmer in there when I can afford one.. Not sure yet.. I do either two 20 gallon water changes or one 40 gallon per week, depending on school, work, or amount of laziness..

I agree, ima need something pretty big to survive in there.. If not, an eel tank would be pretty cool..

I too have a yellow head moray... I've heard of them killing large lions, and triggers... I havnt had any issues from mine.... Yet

Yeah, I'm thinking I might get a 29 gallon to use as a grow tank.. Grow one in there for a little while till it gets bigger..

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397718443.226131.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397718498.310142.jpg

Two new pics.. Got a better one of my undulated moray.. He's actually behind the pvc pipe I have set up.. Got one of my white mouth going from one pvc opening to the other.. Surprisingly, the white mouth swims around when I come into the room.. I know their eyesight is horrible, but I'm not sure if that's just snowflakes and zebras, or all morays in general..

Just out of curiosity how long has your tank been up and running? That rock looks super fresh.

I've had a tank up since mid-January.. Started with a 40B, within two weeks picked up the 125 in the pictures.. Swapped everything in the 40B to the 125.. Live rocks, regular rocks, gravel, etc..

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397866144.718062.jpg

Update time.. Two newest additions to the tank..

Panther Grouper
Red Emperor Snapper

Currently in a 29G quarantine tank.. I'm probably gonna leave them in for longer then six weeks though, so they can grow bigger and hopefully not get eaten..

I've started my sump project.. I was able to get a 40B off of craigslist for $20, so I'm just gonna make a DIY one.. Working on getting they acrylic or plexiglass to make the baffles.. Does anyone have any suggestions on a type of adhesive or glue to use to keep the baffles in place??

Thanks

View attachment 233876

Update time.. Two newest additions to the tank..

Panther Grouper
Red Emperor Snapper

Currently in a 29G quarantine tank.. I'm probably gonna leave them in for longer then six weeks though, so they can grow bigger and hopefully not get eaten..

I've started my sump project.. I was able to get a 40B off of craigslist for $20, so I'm just gonna make a DIY one.. Working on getting they acrylic or plexiglass to make the baffles.. Does anyone have any suggestions on a type of adhesive or glue to use to keep the baffles in place??

Thanks

I hope you have a 500 gallon tank in the works. The snapper and panther wil be huge before you know it.

The snapper ima probably give back to my LFS, colors fade a lot with age.. The grouper I'm hoping to be able to keep.. I'm researching DIY plywood tanks so I can make a custom one..

The snapper ima probably give back to my LFS, colors fade a lot with age.. The grouper I'm hoping to be able to keep.. I'm researching DIY plywood tanks so I can make a custom one..

Sweet! I just know snappers grow insanely fast as my lfs had one and in half a year it tripled in size

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398317637.603270.jpg

Got a new trigger.. 5" Niger Trigger.. Acclimated him, put him in with my eels.. Came home and found him inside my white mouth's stomach, as you can see in the picture.. At least I know how big my grouper and snapper has to be before I put them in..

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398324861.019322.jpg On a side note, got four yellow tailed damsels to use as feeders as well.. I was hoping they would distract the eels from the trigger.. That obviously didn't work.. But turns out the lobster was the first one to get one of the damsels.. It's holding half of one in the picture..

Back
Top Bottom