Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser

They sounds good. You need to add one fish maybe two at a time. If you add too many your biological system can't keep up and you will kill them. For example, add two clowns...wait 2-3 weeks plus...then add another fish. Make sure your fish are compatible and appropriate for your size tank or they will end up dying. Some people think they can add juvenile tangs to small aquariums. Tangs are swimmers! They like lots of area and eventually get to be rather large fish. It would be like putting a Great Dane in a small run.
*that...grrrr...on this stupid iPhone! Sorry! LOL!

Old 10-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok thanks, this is my first SW but i have experience with freshwater

i know i cant have much, im going to have a goby and a pair of firefish maybe, actually i was going to go with 15/6 but the prices didnt work out like i thought

it was 135 for 20 lbs of cured live rock overnight shipping

or close to 130 for 15 lbs and 6 lbs, so i just opted for the 20 lbs!

the shipping was high but unavoidable , i dont get why its the same price to ship for tues as it is for wed/thurs/fri but i should have it tomorrow since i chose tuesday delivery

Old 10-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairenoid
thanks, another question now

if i have dry rock mixed with live rock, how does that effect the cycle time? i wanted 20 lbs of cured live rock to avoid any cycling (maybe 2 weeks waiting max)

i have no idea how i want to aquascape and my lfs just got their shipment today for 5.99 a lb, but since they just got it shipped from somewhere i am assuming it will be no different than me ordering online, since they will still have to "cure" it again like me

i want to emphasis that the only reason i want cured live rock is to save time, as in i want my fish ASAP. otherwise i would just buy 20 lbs of dry rock and wait a few months lol

ohhh and also, the tank is in my bedroom so i dont know if i could handle the smell during the curing process
I need to stress that this may help with your cycle time but can't guarantee a time it will be finished cycling. I only know what I've done that's worked for me. My advice is that you tell your LFS guy what you are wanting to do. I have heard that there are things you can add to the tank to make it cycle faster like stuff you add to the water, I've just never used it. When I actually cycle a new tank I do the following: Use cured live rock, use biomedia from my other filter, some sand from my other tank that I throw on top of dry aragonite sand I bought for that tank, and I throw in my bag of shrimp (usually I use 2) that has a string so I can fish it out and add more if needed or take out when finished. By the way, the shrimp smell TERRIBLE when taken out.

I really think you should ask him what he thinks.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
ok thanks, this is my first SW but i have experience with freshwater

i know i cant have much, im going to have a goby and a pair of firefish maybe, actually i was going to go with 15/6 but the prices didnt work out like i thought

it was 135 for 20 lbs of cured live rock overnight shipping

or close to 130 for 15 lbs and 6 lbs, so i just opted for the 20 lbs!

the shipping was high but unavoidable , i dont get why its the same price to ship for tues as it is for wed/thurs/fri but i should have it tomorrow since i chose tuesday delivery
Cool! Just try to be patient with it all. I would still call your LFS and pick their brain. Do you have any friends with saltwater that you could get a filter pad or two to use in your filter?
Old 10-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One last thing...and I've never used these so I'm not giving advice to do so BUT, here is a link of what someone else found with bacteria additives and speeding up the cycling process. Does it work? I have no idea as I've always done it the way I described above. If you decide to try this I would love to hear about what you chose to use and how it worked for you!

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aq...ni-review.html
Old 10-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

sweet thanks,

im kind of worried because i bought the rocks and chose over night shipping and chose for it to be delivered on tuesday, but i checked ups tracking and it says estimated date friday..
Old 10-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
sweet thanks,

im kind of worried because i bought the rocks and chose over night shipping and chose for it to be delivered on tuesday, but i checked ups tracking and it says estimated date friday..
Can you call them? If you paid for overnight shipping then I would tell them that it is expected today and that you paid for overnight shipping.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I thought I did overnight, I chose tuesday to be my delivery day, it cost like 30 bucks and I heard PA does overnight for 30

anyways i sent an email and he said "sorry it looks like your shipment will take 3-5 days, it should still be fine yada yada"

I sent him another email saying Im sure I chose over night delivery but he hasnt responded, maybe I got mixed up because well why does it allow me to chose what day I want it delivered and not comply! :/

its not the biggggest deal since cured rock was only a dollar more per pound, just kinda sucks that I will have to clean it more myself lol

also ive been getting my salt water ready but the hydrometer is so innaccurate lol, i knew it would be inaccurate but im getting readings that go all the way up, or all the way down, every other time ><

i think taking care of a sw tank is going to be v ery frustrating lol
Old 10-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That would make me mad regarding the shipping. Try rinsing it with RO water really well and then try again. I use both kinds.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com