premixing water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevefromga2000

Aquarium Advice Freak
i know that when i premix my water, i am supposed to leave it uncovered for proper gas exchange, but there is a problem. i have a great dane, and he likes to drink anything that he can stick his fat head in. lol. my question is would it be okay to drill a bunch of holes in the lid of a container? that way the gas would still be able to escape, and also my dog couldn't fit his fat head through the skinny holes. lol!!

We just keep ours in a cool dark area covered IE basement ... then airate it 24 hours before use with a power head or an air stone .... no need IMHHO to keep it uncovered where it can evaporate and cause levels of salt to rise.
if you are talking about covering while mixing then yes you could do the small holes so that the dane doesnt get a drink
BTW our kitten does the same thing too :lol: :roll:

My cat is always trying to lick at the saltwater...luckily she is short and has stumpy legs and can't reach over the top of the rubbermaid. Heh. Anyways, your plan sounds good Steve. :)

How about a screen or something like that? If you drill holes in the lid, mix some water and thest the pH, if it is too low, make more holes, until you get it about where you need it.

Holes should be fine. Make sure you drop and air-stone in there and have good surface aggitation.

alright, here's what i have so far.

i got in my shipment from marc at marcorocks.com, by the way it is awesome, and i also went and bought a 37 gallon rubbermaid container. in my shipment, marc also sent me two powerheads, a maxijet 900 and a maxijet 1200.

i have all the rock sitting in the water right now, just FW, with the 900 running. i just got a powerstrip, so i am going to hook the 1200 up tonight. also, i am going to drill the holes in the lid and also add some salt. i just didn't have the time last night, and i'm pretty busy today so far. i don't have an extra heater, but it is on my list to get next paycheck. right now, i am worried about the rock.

i was thinking about leaving it in the tub, with salt water, lid with holes in it, both powerheads running, for about 10 days or so. thoughts and/or suggestions?

I think, if you don't see ammonia within the first three days or so, you should be ok. But, I would keep a diary and let us all know....

Steve are you are the guy in the AF that the Bostonreefers helped out!!! WOW, what a small world.

Back
Top Bottom