Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-16-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
problem tank

Ok, I will admit it right off the bat I neglected my tank. I have not touched it in 2 years other than to add water to keep the level up, I have a aqua c remorer skimmer that has been going. I had 1 fish that whole time a little clown who is now 3 years old. I was recently given a fox face and it resparked my interest. Today I checked my nitrite, ammonia nitrate all 0 ppm and phosphate which was .5 ppm my specific gravity is at 1.023. I have included pictures of what the tank looks like now. I think I have tons of green hair Algae I need to know what I can do to get things turned around.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	12924   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	12925  

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	12926   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic4.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	12927  

theodo155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would seriously look into removing the rock and scrubbing it down with a stiff bristle brush , rinse off with fresh salt water poured over it the rock for a good rinse. Next place in fresh salt that has aged approperitly then place in a dark tote in a very limmited ammount of light that can enter it and place a heater with a power head and run a skimmer with a filter if possible with a phosphate sponge to absorb what ever traces may be there , you will be essentially "cooking " and recycling your LR ...You will want to also address the hydroids and the aptasia as well before placing into your tank or even the cooking recycling bin . Every week take and brush it again and rinse off replace all water in the bin with the LR the point is to starve off the nutirents that is feeding it .. Depending on size of tank an algea blenny may work . What size tank is this ? Also what is your lighting ? PC, MH , Other ? How long since you changed the bulbs ?It is probably due for that now You may also wish to get a new test kit as well as your old ones may have expired

Nanoreefing site
2 nanos
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
My only comment at this point was to get new test kits. If you've only been adding top off water for 2 years with no water changes I would find it hard to believe your nitrates are at 0! I suppose though your algae could be consuming it as fast as it gets created, but I'd still expect a fair amount.
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I would also suggest weekly PWCs, that is the best way to get your tank back in it's glory. Definitely get new test kits, as they do tend to expire and give false readings.
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

All good advice above. Get new quality test kits. If your salt has been sitting for 2 years you probably should get new salt too.

What size tank is this?
Do you have or can you buy RODI water for your water changes?
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The tank size is 75 gallons. I have about 60lbs of live rock. I always used RO water to top off. I will get new test kits a retest. I looked on the kits but couldn't find any date on them. I really hate to take the tank apart, can I try to get rid of the hair algae some how and keep doing the water changes. Both fish are doing fine and eat well. If I took all the rock out what would I do with the fish? I might as well start over than.
theodo155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
When you do your PWC`s siphon as much of the hair algea up as you can. Rubberband a toothbrush on the end of the siphon hose and gently scrub the algea off and siphon the loose algea up during the PWC. Here is a good battle plan for fighting algea.

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control"
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Any chance of getting a 20tank cheapo tank with cheopo flourescent lights? Use the HOB skimmer there and a few of the better pcs of rock for an instant cyle. I'd use 50% new, aged SW (24hrs at least) and 50% old water.

Then, like mentioned scrub and recycle the rock. Keep it dark for a week with a power head and hopefully ambient heat. If not, a small heater. New test kits!

Then as you add new fish, you've got a ready made QT tank. Treat the 20g rock and add to the other rock already done. Move the fish.

And be sure that nylon brush is a brand new one without any metal. It'll be your tank brush. I like the kind with the round or oval surface with a longer handle.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
If you want to keep it simple, just pull out the rock, 1 at a time and scrub it good, rinse in sw, return to tank. Grab another rock and scrub....... Might take some time, but 60 lbs isn't really a whole lot.

125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com