problem tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theodo155

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I will admit it right off the bat I neglected my tank. I have not touched it in 2 years other than to add water to keep the level up, I have a aqua c remorer skimmer that has been going. I had 1 fish that whole time a little clown who is now 3 years old. I was recently given a fox face and it resparked my interest. Today I checked my nitrite, ammonia nitrate all 0 ppm and phosphate which was .5 ppm my specific gravity is at 1.023. I have included pictures of what the tank looks like now. I think I have tons of green hair Algae I need to know what I can do to get things turned around.

Thanks in advance.

Theodo155

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 80
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 68
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 97
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 63
I would seriously look into removing the rock and scrubbing it down with a stiff bristle brush , rinse off with fresh salt water poured over it the rock for a good rinse. Next place in fresh salt that has aged approperitly then place in a dark tote in a very limmited ammount of light that can enter it and place a heater with a power head and run a skimmer with a filter if possible with a phosphate sponge to absorb what ever traces may be there , you will be essentially "cooking " and recycling your LR ...You will want to also address the hydroids and the aptasia as well before placing into your tank or even the cooking recycling bin . Every week take and brush it again and rinse off replace all water in the bin with the LR the point is to starve off the nutirents that is feeding it .. Depending on size of tank an algea blenny may work . What size tank is this ? Also what is your lighting ? PC, MH , Other ? How long since you changed the bulbs ?It is probably due for that now :) You may also wish to get a new test kit as well as your old ones may have expired :)

My only comment at this point was to get new test kits. If you've only been adding top off water for 2 years with no water changes I would find it hard to believe your nitrates are at 0! I suppose though your algae could be consuming it as fast as it gets created, but I'd still expect a fair amount.

I would also suggest weekly PWCs, that is the best way to get your tank back in it's glory. Definitely get new test kits, as they do tend to expire and give false readings.

All good advice above. Get new quality test kits. If your salt has been sitting for 2 years you probably should get new salt too.

What size tank is this?
Do you have or can you buy RODI water for your water changes?

The tank size is 75 gallons. I have about 60lbs of live rock. I always used RO water to top off. I will get new test kits a retest. I looked on the kits but couldn't find any date on them. I really hate to take the tank apart, can I try to get rid of the hair algae some how and keep doing the water changes. Both fish are doing fine and eat well. If I took all the rock out what would I do with the fish? I might as well start over than.

Any chance of getting a 20tank cheapo tank with cheopo flourescent lights? Use the HOB skimmer there and a few of the better pcs of rock for an instant cyle. I'd use 50% new, aged SW (24hrs at least) and 50% old water.

Then, like mentioned scrub and recycle the rock. Keep it dark for a week with a power head and hopefully ambient heat. If not, a small heater. New test kits!

Then as you add new fish, you've got a ready made QT tank. Treat the 20g rock and add to the other rock already done. Move the fish.

And be sure that nylon brush is a brand new one without any metal. It'll be your tank brush. I like the kind with the round or oval surface with a longer handle.

If you want to keep it simple, just pull out the rock, 1 at a time and scrub it good, rinse in sw, return to tank. Grab another rock and scrub....... Might take some time, but 60 lbs isn't really a whole lot.

Back
Top Bottom