Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Problem with diatoms

Im pretty sure i have diatoms in my tank, ive had them for about 3 weeks now.. Its a bunch of rust/brown algae on my sand and pumps. My lighting isnt old, my levels are all reading ok, i do schedule pwc's, i feed every other day, protein skimmer is working fine, and my flow is good, but i vaccum them up and there back the next day and worse... Do i have to just wait and let them die off? I have some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1797016831.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	59988   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2768660966.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	59989  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-895127704.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	59990  

Old 11-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it is diatoms, it feeds off of silicates in the water. Are you using RO/DI or are you using treated tap water? There will always be some silicate when you start up a tank but the diatoms should consume it then die off. If you are using tap you may be adding silicates back in when you do PWC.

If it is red algae, there can be many issues causing it. Phosphates are one but again, that would be taken care of by using RO/DI. Overfeeding or keeping you lights on too long can also play a big part. Water flow is another big part of it. If it is red algae increasing water flow should help.

Hope all that helps.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ive been using primo purified water, 5 stage purification with reverse osmosis being one of thos stages.. Ive had red algae before but this is different, much darker and brown.. And ive noticed it gets worse the longer the lights run..
Old 11-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is your lighting cycle? How much are you feeding and how many fish? Last thing I would recommend would be to test the RO/DI water before you mix it and see if it has any phosphate in it. If the filters are old, you may be getting phosphates.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lights are only on for about 7 hours, 4 fish, i feed every other day, tested the water for phosphates all clear, filter pad is kind of old..
Old 11-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am no expert but regurgitating things I have read on this site. LOL The next thing I would try, assuming you don't have any corals, would be turning the lights off for several days. It won't hurt the fish and may kill off the algae. If you are not comfortable taking advice from a novice I would totally understand. hehehehe Hope someone with a little more experience jumps in here.

Tags
diatom, diatoms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com